Acid Attack:A Chemistry Bill Nye Home Demo by Rachel Murphy and Brian Greco, core 6
1. Purpose To examine the effects of acidic substances’ reaction with non-acidic limestone chalk, modeling the effects of acid rain. ?
2. Research ammonia solution acid rain urine water sea water bleach battery acid black coffee baking soda soapy water drain cleaner lemon juice vinegar orange juice CO2 CO2 CO2
3. Hypothesis When submerged in the acidic liquids, the chalk will begin to disintegrate or completely dissolve.
6. Analysis lemon juice vinegar lemon juice •Chalk is calcium carbonate (CaC03) • Vinegar/LJ react with chalk • Erode to form calcium (Ca) and C02 vinegar
7. Conclusion •When in the acidic liquids, the chalk began to disintegrate • Even in water, some wearing away could be seen • Vinegar and lemon juice are acids: 1 and 2 on the PH scale • The process displayed in this experiment models acid rain acid rain lemon juice vinegar
The EndThank you for watching! by Rachel Murphy and Brian Greco