Polyethylene in Space. Jonathon Ball, Kirk Norasak. Goals For the Summer. Develop an irradiation setup to imitate “space” conditions. To test mechanical properties of UHMWPE irradiated in “space” conditions. To improve the Orthopod wear testing program.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Jonathon Ball, Kirk Norasak
OVERVIEW OF NASA’S SPACE RADIATION RESEARCH PROGRAM
National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Washington, DC
International Space Station- (-157)C - 121C 0mbar pressure
Moon- (-233)C - 123C 0mbar pressure
Mars- (-153)C - 20C 7.5mbar pressure
Reentry to the atmosphere- ~8000K
Mylar (PET)- Has radiation resistance
Used to make Solar Sails
Kapton - Temp range -273 to 400 C
Used for wire coating
Used as an insulator in UH Vac environment
Neoprene- Insulation (Wet suits) to regulate body temperature.
PTFE (Teflon) – Outer protection on the space suit.
Archodoulaki, V. -.; Koch, T.; Rodriguez, A.; Seidler, S. Influence of Different Sterilization Procedures on the Morphological Parameters and Mechanical Properties of Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight Polyethylene. J ApplPolymSci2011, 120, 1875-1884.
(2) Banford, H. M.; Yufen, W.; Tedford, D. J.; Given, M. J. The dielectric response of polyimide to combined radiation, vacuum and thermal aging. IEEE 1995 Annual Report.Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena (Cat.No.95CH35842) 1995, 239; 239-242; 242.
(3) Brichard, B.; Ooms, H.; Starckx, J.; Fernandez, A. F.; van Uffelen, M.; Berghmans, F. SCK-CEN gamma irradiation facilities for radiation testing in high-vacuum conditions. Proceedings of the 7th European Conference on Radiation and its Effects on Components and Systems - RADECS 2003 (IEEE Cat.No.03TH8776) 2004, 513; 513-515; 515.
(4) Burroughs, B. R.; Blanchet, T. A. The effect of pre-irradiation vacuum storage on the oxidation and wear of radiation sterilized UHMWPE. Wear 2006, 261, 1277-1284.
(5) Chiggiato, P.; Kersevan, R. Synchrotron radiation-induced desorption from a NEG-coated vacuum chamber. Vacuum 2001, 60, 67-72.
(6) Guetersloh, S.; Zeitlin, C.; Heilbronn, L.; Miller, J.; Komiyama, T.; Fukumura, A.; Iwata, Y.; Murakami, T.; Bhattacharya, M. Polyethylene as a radiation shielding standard in simulated cosmic-ray environments. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms 2006, 252, 319-332.
(7) Huot, J. C.; Van Citters, D. W.; Currier, J. H.; Collier, J. P. The effect of radiation dose on the tensile and impact toughness of highly cross-linked and remelted ultrahigh-molecular weight polyethylenes. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 2011, 97B, 327-333.
(8) Korenev, S. Method of radiation degradation of PTFE under vacuum conditions. Radiat. Phys. Chem. 2004, 71, 523-525.
(9) Korenev, S. Method of radiation degradation of PTFE under vacuum conditions. Radiat. Phys. Chem. 2004, 71, 523-525.
(10) Premnath, V.; Harris, W. H.; Jasty, M.; Merrill, E. W. Gamma sterilization of UHMWPE articular implants: An analysis of the oxidation problem. Biomaterials 1996, 17, 1741-1753.
(11) Sarcinelli, L.; Valenza, A.; Spadaro, G. Inverse response of polypropylene to gamma radiation under vacuum. Polymer 1997, 38, 2307-2313.
(12) Schimmerling, W. Overview of NASA's space radiation research program. Gravit Space Biol Bull 2003, 16, 5-10.
(13) Shavers, M. R.; Zapp, N.; Barber, R. E.; Wilson, J. W.; Qualls, G.; Toupes, L.; Ramsey, S.; Vinci, V.; Smith, G.; Cucinotta, F. A. Implementation of ALARA radiation protection on the ISS through polyethylene shielding augmentation of the Service Module Crew Quarters. Advances in Space Research 2004, 34, 1333-1337.
(14) Stephens, C. P.; Benson, R. S.; Esther Martinez-Pardo, M.; Barker, E. D.; Walker, J. B.; Stephens, T. P. The effect of dose rate on the crystalline lamellar thickness distribution in gamma-radiation of UHMWPE. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms 2005, 236, 540-545.
(15) Zhong, W. H.; Miller, J. In In Reactive nano-epoxy matrix and the UHMWPE fiber composites for cosmic radiation shielding; International Conference on Smart Materials and Nanotechnology in Engineering, July 1, 2007 - July 4; SPIE: Harbin, China, 2007; Vol. 6423, pp SPIE; Harbin Institute of Technology, China.
(16) Zhong, W. H.; Sui, G.; Jana, S.; Miller, J. Cosmic radiation shielding tests for UHMWPE fiber/nano-epoxy composites. Composites Sci. Technol. 2009, 69, 2093-7.
(17) Ask A Scientist. http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/AskScientist/askscientist_3.php#q27 (accessed June 6, 2011).
(18) What is the temperature on the Moon? http://lunarscience.nasa.gov/kids/moon_temperature (accessed June 6, 2011).
(19) Mars Facts. http://quest.nasa.gov/aero/planetary/mars.html (accessed June 6, 2011).
(20) Barry, P. L. Plastic Spaceships. http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2005/25aug_plasticspaceships/ (accessed June 6, 2011).
(21) Pline, A. Exploration: Moon, Mars, and Beyond. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/exploration/mmb/index.html (accessed June 6, 2011).
(22) Price, S.; Phillips, T.; Knier, G. Staying Cool on the ISS. http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast21mar_1/ (accessed June 6, 2011).