Proposed by Sivasubramanian Muthusamy Sylvia Herlein Leite. ICANN Global Outreach Program. Visibility of ICANN as the Agency managing Critical Internet Resources
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1) Every computer (node) connected to the Internet is assigned the IP address by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) which is operated by the ICANN, yet ICANN is not known by most Internet users
2) There is an estimated 192 million domain names registered as on data for which the authority is ICANN.
Every Internet user is linked to ICANN, but ICANN is relatively unknown.
All this needs to be changed.
ICANN has a responsibility to become known due to its huge role in the management of critical internet resources.
ICANN needs to work on reaching out to users. On a global level ICANN requires massive outreach efforts that necessarily include Advertising strategies.
Outreach wouldn't be a simple exercise of distributing pamphlets, rather a strategically planned comprehensive exercise. This task needs to be professionally handled.
Non profit Organizations have effectively used the services of Professional Agencies to manage their Outreach or PR campaigns.
Two Professional Agencies – Ogilvy & Mather and Young & Rubicom have been requested to provide preliminary opinion on the idea of ICANN outreach
Ogilvy & Mather, Chennai has responded with a rough opinion and sent us an example campaign
Broad Target: the whole world of Internet Users.
Initial Focus: website ‘owners’ and bloggers. +
Journalists, consumer groups.
Internet Users with an initial focus on those with domain names + large Internet User organizations (organizations whose business operations considerably depend on their Internet presence such as a bank or a BPO + Consumer and Civil Society Organizations or User groups.)
Offline Strategy: Conventional Print and TV advertising, International Trade Fairs, specialized events for public
Online Strategy: Social networks, blogs, podcasts, Context Sensitive links (probono Adwords)
Adwords helped Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) which has a website with 127,000 static pages.
anything that the Advertising Agency may think of such as e-mail to registrants
The beneficiary of this campaign would be ICANN, but a part of all of this campaign may be fronted by ICANN at-Large (user's) organization as an exercise for at-Large outreach, which by extension would amount to
At-Large Structures have an awareness of regional issues and concern that may not be apparent to the ICANN Executive and Staff. At Large involvement would make the campaign adapt to regional needs.
Reaching out through at-Large would not only make ICANN known but also make at-Large better known.
As more people come to know about at-Large there would be greater diversity of participation which would bring in more participants for the ICANN process while this exercise makes ICANN better known.
ICANN’s annual income is $60 million, which is likely to increase significantly.
The budgetary allocation for the outreach program could be to the tune of 5 to 7% of ICANN's annual income.
(budgets in the order of $3 to $5 million per year for the first two or three years after which the budget could stabilize at about 3% of annual income every year)
ICANN's role is very significant and central to the Internet and the world.
Users need to know about ICANN
ICANN needs to improve Institutional Confidence
1. Does ICANN the services of a professional agency? We believe that ICANN can benefit from the services of a professional agency - especially one with significant strengths in the Digital/Digital PR space
2. Have non- profit organizations have taken up such campaigns on comparable pursuits? The reason to take on such a campaign must arise from the benefits ICANN perceives by being known better. There are several internet safety awareness campaigns and other campaigns of public interest one can find.
3. The possible benefits for ICANN At a basic level there would be clarity on ICANN and what it does. Going forward, such campaigns could enhance ICANN's credibility as a policy and dispute resolution body, but also as a source of public interest activity in this space. (e.g. building awareness on cyber-squatting etc.)
4. A rough presentation on Media Specific media recommendations would emerge out of tasks, defining markets and budgets. Given [the] indicative budgets, and the nature of the initial target groups , most of the initiatives would be online and direct mail.
5. Why Ogilvy is suitable and whether Ogilvy would be interested Ogilvy has a dominant presence in digital /interactive initiatives (as well as online PR…We could provide you strategic and creative support in the online and offline space that covers every aspect of communication like PR, events, interactive advertising etc.
Ogilvy sent us a case on a public service campaign for "World Contraception Day".While this has little to do with our category, it is an example of how a concept can be communicated to multiple audiences using various interventions in PR, advertising, events and direct marketing.
…. The Case presentation follows: