Investment Opportunity in Nepal . Prof. Sri Ram Poudyal , Ph.D . Chairman, Institute of Policy Research Government of Nepal Board Director, Nepal Rastra Bank. Introduction about Nepal. Current Economic Status (2013). Status of FDI in world. Nepal ranking in world.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Prof. Sri Ram Poudyal, Ph.D.
Chairman, Institute of Policy Research
Government of Nepal
Board Director, Nepal Rastra Bank
S : < NRS 30 million
M : NRS 30 >= 100 million
L: 100 million and over
1. Hydropower projects above 500MW.
2. Roads and transportation infrastructure – key focus projects will include a Kathmandu-Terai fast track road project, mid-hill highway, and north-south corridor connecting India and China.
3. Airports – Construction of a second international airport and overhaul of the existing Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA), upgrading of regional airports - key to commerce and tourism development.
4. Agribusiness and Medicinal herb processing facilities.
5. Solid Waste Management & Treatment, Chemical Fertilizer Industries, and Petroleum Refineries.
6. Banks and Financial Institutions – establishment of an infrastructure financing institution, BFI with more than 51% foreign ownership, Insurance and re-Insurance companies.
7. Medical colleges, Hospitals and Nursing Homes with three hundred beds or more.
8. Special Economic Zones - They can be catalytic in attracting investors, bringing new technologies and jobs in the short to medium term, while providing a useful framework as a pilot and testing ground for broader economic reforms in the country.
9. Any “Infrastructure or Service Industry” (means any industry in construction, mining, tourism and aviation) that has a paid up capital or project cost exceeding Rs. 10 billion.
Threshold for FDI: US$ 50 thousand
Foreign investors are permitted to own up to 100 percent equity share in industries except in the following areas.
> NRs. 10 bln.
Application at DOI
> NRs. 2 bln.
Approved by Industrial Promotion Board
Application at IB
Industry Registration/Tax Registration
Director General of DOI
Issuance of FDI Approval Letter
Commissioning of IndustryStreamlined FDI Approval Process
Department of Industry, October 2013
5 years visa