Effective Communications Styles:. Learning Outcomes. As a result of this seminar, you will be able to: 1. Understand barriers to effective communication 2. Explore some of the generalizations about men and women in relationships.
As a result of this seminar, you will be able to:
1. Understand barriers to effective communication
2. Explore some of the generalizations about men and women in relationships.
3. Identify your personal withdrawal techniques by reviewing the “Dirty Dozen” of Communication Spoilers.
4. Develop a better understanding of your partner’s way of communicating.
5. Identify some of the common “power plays” that are used by couples in a relationship.
6. Understanding some of the “Do’s and Don’ts” of couples communication
7. Demonstrate empathic listening
8. Construct “I” messages
9. Rate your “People Skills” and identify areas for improvement
10. Explore the reality and the value of marital conflicts
11. Explore the concept of a “couple’s time out”
12. Identify some of the “red flags” in relationships
11. Where to turn when your relationship needs help
Barriers to Effective Communication
1. Different ways of viewing world can lead to honest
2. Expecting other person to be a mind reader
3. Taking other person’s words personally and either
getting defensive or withdrawing
4. Getting stuck in rut – having the same interactions again and again, nothing ever gets resolved
5. Thinking of response or daydreaming
6. Not understanding different ways men and women typically view “talking”
7. Ignoring importance of non-verbal communication
8. Not taking the time to communicate
Body language, facial expressions, hand gestures, use of space, movements
Tone, pitch, rate, volume
Actual words spoken
Name-Calling or Labeling
Using “Loaded” Words
Probing or Quizzing
AVOIDING THE OTHER PERSON’S CONCERNS
Diverting or “Me, Too--ing”
“Dirty Dozen” of Communication Spoilers
1. Listen and understand the individual
2. Attend to the little things
3. Keep commitments
4. Clarify expectations
5. Show personal integrity
6. Apologize sincerely when you make a relationship withdrawal
7. Establish Win/Win relationships
8. Be assertive and use I-messages
9. Practice effective communication skills.
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
We have been given two ears and one mouth.
We should listen twice as much as we talk!