THE UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND. WHY CHOOSE UQ?. Choice of programs the most comprehensive range in Queensland. The employment edge starting salaries are higher than the national average. Teaching excellence more national teaching awards than any other university. The complete package
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Choice of programs
the most comprehensive range in Queensland
The employment edge
starting salaries are higher than the national average
more national teaching awards than any other university
The complete package
three cosmopolitan campuses at St Lucia, Ipswich and Gatton
one of the country’s top research universities
An international reputation
a member of Universitas 21 - an international network of research-intensive universities
UQ’s campuses are renowned as among the most beautifuland well-equipped in Australia.
UQ ST LUCIA
With its distinctive sandstone buildings, jacaranda trees and extensive riverside grounds,
UQ St Lucia has a reputation as one of Australia’s most attractive university campuses.
Magnificently restored heritage-listed buildings have been blended with the latest
technology to create this campus of the future.
Set on 1068 hectares and just under an hour’s drive west of Brisbane, UQ Gatton links
the future leaders of Australia’s rural industries with the latest technology and learning.
Our diverse and vibrant community is made up of more than37,000 students, with more than 6300 international studentsenrolled from 121 countries.
WHO ARE THEY?
Postgraduate coursework 16.6%
Postgraduate research 9.6%
WHERE DO THEY COME FROM?
TOP 10 COUNTRIES FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
1 People’s Republic of China
3 United States of America
5 Hong Kong
“The University has awide range of programs,
experienced teaching personneland great learning resources.”
Bachelor of Commerce student
Kah Wah Fong
UQ is committed to providing first-class learning experiences and outcomes for its students.
• UQ has won more national teaching awards than any other university.
• UQ has more than 2200 highly-qualified academic staff dedicated to teaching and research.
• Flexible learning is part of the University’s overall strategy to deliver an enhanced, student-centred approach to learning.
• UQ teachers have a 100 percent success rate in the Carrick Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning.
“UQ teachers are committed todeveloping new, exciting andinnovative ways of promotingthe student learning experience.”
National teaching award winner
Dr Virginia Slaughter
UQ recognises the pursuit of excellence in both researchand research training as being central to its mission.
• UQ is one of the top two research universities in the country.
• Undertaking a research higher degree (PhD or Master of Philosophy) at UQ allows you to pursue cutting-edge research at our state-of-the-art facilities.
• UQ leads industry collaboration and research funding in Australia.
• Students have the opportunity to study with researchers of international renown.
• UQ has created more world-class research institutes than any other Australian university.
“I’m proud to be both a UQ graduate and a UQ research leader. This University has the world-class infrastructure and vibrant research environment that leads to major international research breakthroughs.”
Director of the Australian Research CouncilCentre for Functional Nanomaterials
Professor Max Lu
UQ conducts a major scholarship round each year wherethe following equity scholarships are offered:
• Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarships (CAS)
• Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarships (CECS)
• Group of Eight Scholarships
• UQ Excellence Scholarships
• UQ-Link Residential Support Scholarships
Applications open in early October with a closing date of mid-Novemberin the year preceding the award.
Other scholarships include Sporting Scholarships, Scholarships for Indigenous Studentsand School and Faculty Scholarships.
“I don’t think it should be the rich who dowell at sport, it should be the people who are the most dedicated.”
Clem Jones Sporting Scholarship recipientand Bachelor of Arts student
UQ’s state-of-the-art Library, unsurpassed informationtechnology support and superior teaching facilities arekey to unlocking learning potential.
The largest research collection in Queensland with millions of books; tens of thousandsof journals, eBooks and multimedia; networked databases; and primary material.
Information technology services
A range of IT and online services including a free UQconnect Internet account for students..
The central locations for assistance with administrative matters and general inquiries.
Student support services
UQ provides an integrated, professional support service.
Sport and fitness
UQ SPORT offers outstanding sporting facilities and recreational programs.
The UQ Union organises events to help students enjoy campus life.
Clubs and societies
Students can participate in social events by joining clubs and societies at UQ.
Food, shopping and commercial services
Students will find a range of venues in which to eat, drink, meet friends and shop.
UQ’s international standing is reinforced by itsglobal reputation and diverse student population.
• UQ ranked 45th in the World University Rankings, compiled by theTimes Higher Education Supplement in 2006.
• We are a founding member of the Group of Eight (Go8) – a leading group of Australian universities that collectively enrols one-third of all university students and conducts 70 percent of all university research in Australia.
• UQ was independently ranked as one of Australia’s best universities in the 2007 edition of The Good Universities Guide.
• The UQ Abroad program offers students the exciting experience of studying overseas for up to one year on exchange.
• UQ has exchange agreements with more than 120 universities in 28 countries.
“I thoroughly enjoy my researchand have made many pricelessfriends and industry contacts.”
International PhD student
A unit of study within a program, similar to a subject at school.
A combination of two UQ programs undertaken at the same time.
FacultyThe major organisational unit within UQ, with responsibility for academic programs.UQ has seven faculties, which have a number of sub-units called schools. The Head of a faculty is called an Executive Dean.
HonoursIn some programs, honours can be awarded to students who undertakea further (optional) year of study, in others, honours can be awarded basedon academic performance in the program.
Postgraduate programsPrograms studied after graduating from undergraduate programs,including graduate certificates, graduate diplomas, masters and doctorates.
ProgramA sequence of study involving enrolment, study and graduation,normally awarded with a qualification such as a degree, diploma or certificate.
SemesterUQ’s teaching year is divided into Semester One and Semester Two.There is also Summer Semester, which runs between November andFebruary and provides for the intensive study of selected courses.
Undergraduate programsUsually refers to first-time University programs such as bachelor degrees.
For more information about UQ:
The University of QueenslandBrisbane QLD 4072
Telephone: (07) 3365 1111
Or visit a UQ Open Day
UQ Open Days are held annually in August at the St Lucia,Ipswich and Gatton campuses. For more information on theseand other UQ events visit www.uq.edu.au/events