Puritan Salem Witch Trials Great Awakening. Growth in Salem Town. Spreads inland quickly so a new community forms – Salem Village. “Villagers” want own Church, Minister & New Meeting House.
From June through September of 1692:
- 19 men and women, convicted of witchcraft, were carted to Gallows Hill, a barren slope near Salem Village, for hanging.
- Another man of over eighty years was pressed to death under heavy stones for refusing to submit to a trial on witchcraft charges.
- At least four accused witches had died in prison.
- One to two hundred other persons were arrested and imprisoned on witchcraft charges.
- Two dogs were executed as suspected accomplices of witches.
a fiery sermon that scared people.