Research and Technology in Japan. by Dr G.A. Papadopoulos Research Director National Observatory of Athens. MOBUSO (MEXT). MOBUSO. ● Education ● Science & Technology ● Culture ● Sports all go together !. MOBUSO Structure. National Budget. MOBUSO Budget. MOBUSO Councils.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Dr G.A. Papadopoulos
National Observatory of Athens
● Science & Technology
all go together !
1. The Council for Science and Technology
2. The Central Council for Education carries out research and deliberations on important matters related to the promotion of education, lifelong learning, sports and other matters.
3. The Council for Cultural Affairs carries out research and deliberations concerning matters related to the promotion of culture and international cultural exchange.
4. Special Zones for Structural Reform are areas where the economy of Japan and regions of Japan will be activated by establishing special measures accordingly to regional characteristics and promoting structural reform on the initiative of each region.
The Council carries out research and deliberation on important matters relating to the promotion of science and technology, providing opinions to the Minister
There are six subdivisions
Subdivision on Research Planning and Evaluation,
Subdivision on Resources Study,
Subdivision on Technology,
Subdivision on Ocean Development,
Subdivision on Geodesy,
Subdivision on Professional Engineers,
Two subordinate sections
●Technology and Research Foundations Section
● Bioethics and Biosafety Commission
Two subordinate committees
● Committee on the Promotion of Internationalization
● Committee on Human Resources
The Council is ensuring a harmonization of the socio-economy and science and technology as well as a comprehensive approach, and has been engaged in fervent discussions aimed at producing highly original and world-class research results.
Improve the Japanese standard of living
aiming to be an"advanced science-and technology-oriented nation“
Contribution to the solution of common human problems
Endorsing the three desirable goals of
●promoting research of the highest worldwide standards,
●creation of new academia in the 21st century ,
● contribution to society,
MEXT is promoting diverse academic research in a wide spectrum of disciplines according to the following basic direction of promotion:
√ respect for the autonomy of researchers;
√ progress in all academic fields from the humanities and social sciences to the natural sciences;
√ integrated promotion of education and research.
●Coordination between Industry, Academia and Government and
Advancement of Regional Science and Technology
●Research and Development in the
√ Life Sciences Field
√ Aerospace Field
√ Nuclear Energy Field
√ Creative, Cutting-Edge Basic Research and Increasing
√ Nanotechnology and Materials Science Field
√ Field of Earthquakes and Disasters Reduction
√ Environmental Science Field
√ Ocean Science and Earth Science Field
√ Information and Communications Field
Example of the Seismic Hazard Map of JapanNorthern Japan (Released March 2003)Probability of experiencing tremors of 6 and above onthe Japanese seismic intensity scale within the next 30 years
● Creation of Centers of Excellence under special competitive calls
● Emphasis is given to individual CoE’s,
no preference to the establishment of
Networks of CoE’s
1. Cooperation Based on International Frameworks
2.Promotion of International Research Exchange
3.Promotion of International Cooperation Projects
3.1 Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP)
3.2 The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Project
(Japanese contribution to CERN’s energy accelerator)
3.3Other International Cooperation Projects
e.g. International Space Station Program,
International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) Project
Integrated Ocean Drilling Program (IODP)
4. International Educational Cooperation
Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
(b)Energy and environmental technology, which because
of long lead times and high risk require the government to
search for solutions.
(c)Interdisciplinary and broad-spectrum research
activities to promote innovation and reinforce the
international competitive strength of Japanese industry
and encourage the creation of new industries.