What is Waiting Behind the Door. What is Public Health?. Population based focus on preventative initiatives Implementing and evaluating population based strategies to promote health and prevent disease Enforcing health related laws and regulations. Challenges of Today’s Emerging Issues.
According to the Journal of Housing for the Elderly, it is not having to move from one’s present residence in order to secure necessary support services in response to changing needs.
New chemicals are baits and require that the pest EAT the bait
Don’t bring infested items into the home
Inspect clothing and baggage of travelers
Inspect secondhand beds, bedding, and furniture
Bed bugs are good hitchhikers
Blood stains from crushed bugs
Shed skins & eggshells
Offensive, sweet, musty odor
Use of dogs
1) To reduce the number of homes, schools, public buildings, hotels, and medical buildings that could become infested with bed bugs;
2) To create and convey a consistent message;
3) To coordinate enforcement efforts;
4) To overcome public apathy, and to reduce stigma;
5) To find ways to educate the public without alarm;
6) To find sources of funding for education and outreach;
7) To reach and educate the medical community;
8) Public education and outreach, including a Task
Force web site and public service announcements.