WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF ICD CODING?. Presented by: Tracy D’Errico, RHIA Director HIM Department. PURPOSES OF ICD-9-CM. ICD-9-CM is a statistical tool used to convert medical diagnoses and inpatient hospital procedures into numbers. The code set has five primary applications.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Tracy D’Errico, RHIA
Director HIM Department
The statistical data are used for a variety of reasons throughout the world to provide a consistent,
• Is 30 years old
• Based on the state of medical knowledge of the late 1970s with periodic updates applied
• Consists of outdated and obsolete terminology
• Inconsistent with current medical practice
• Inadequately describes diagnosis and procedures delivered in the 21st century
• Hampers the ability to compare costs and outcomes of different medical technologies, and
• Cannot support the U.S. transition to an interoperable health data exchange in the U.S.
• Is running out of space, and the limited structural design cannot accommodate advances in medicine and medical technology and the growing need for quality data
• Improved ability to measure health care services
• Increased sensitivity when refining grouping and reimbursement
• Enhanced ability to conduct public health surveillance
• Decreased need to include supporting documentation with claims
• Includes updated medical terminology and classification of diseases
• Provides codes to allow comparison of mortality and morbidity data
• Provides better data for: