Things to ponder…. Why do people create? (paintings, music, monuments, sculptures, poetry, etc.) When did people first begin creating things not necessary for survival? Is visual art supposed to be pleasing to look at? What is art?. Is this art? So who decides what is art?.
Fountain by Marcel Duchamp
1. The Sacred Realm – gods, goddesses, angels, demons, spirits of ancestors, spirits of nature
– images of daily routines/lives
1. Naturalism – most faithful to visual
2. Stylization – conforms to an artistic
or intellectual idea
3. Abstraction – process that
simplifies and recombines shapes
Paintings can appear to be:
By Andrea Mantegna
By Pablo Picasso
This painting is shallow
Write a journal response: What has been your experience with art in the past? How well are your eyes “trained”? What goals do you have in learning about art this year, and what art would you like to see?