Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Entrepreneurship and Conflict of Interest in Science February 23, 2010 Barbara Barnes, MD Ann Mathias, JD David Smith, JD David Wehrle, CPA, CIA, CFE. What is a Conflict of Interest?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
February 23, 2010
Barbara Barnes, MD
Ann Mathias, JD
David Smith, JD
David Wehrle, CPA, CIA, CFE
In order to ensure that research results are free from bias (whether conscious or unconscious) arising from the personal financial interests of the investigators, universities have an obligation to monitor and manage conflicts of interest of their employees.
Conflict of Candor – Transparency
Baylor College of Medicine Faces NIH Sanctions Over Financial Conflicts
Paul Baskin Tuesday, January 20, 2010
The NIH has ordered tougher financial disclosures on all grant applications from Baylor College of Medicine, [citing] ”serious concerns” about the college’s compliance with regulations governing conflicts of interest….
The doctors who spoke favorably of Vytorin® included Christie M. Ballantyne…who collected $34,472 during a five-month period…
The NIH informed the institution last month that the agency would impose ‘special award conditions” on all future grants.
November 11, 2009
Doctor-drugmaker ties: Psychiatrist
Dr. Michael Reinstein received nearly $500,000 from antipsychotic drug’s manufacturer
F.D.A. Is Lax on Oversight During Trials, Inquiry Finds
January 11, 2009
Orthopedic Surgeons' Buck-raking ExposedNearly 50 orthopedic surgeons, many affiliated with the nation's top teaching hospitals, each earned over $1 million a year in consulting contracts and royalties from the five companies that make artificial knees and hips. The payment disclosures were posted on the companies' websites last week as part of a $311 million anti-kickback settlement between four of the firms and the U.S. attorney for northern New Jersey.
Pitt and CMU have policies to address the following concerns:
A research administrator recently received a conflict of interest disclosure from a faculty member who is part owner of a company in the same field as her research. She has 25% of the equity; faculty members in other departments own the remaining 75%. She does some consulting for the company, for which she earns $5,000 a year.
The company recently licensed her invention from the Technology Licensing Office. She expects to receive $20,000 in licensing proceeds next year. The administrator wants to know how to manage this conflict.