The Oregon Trail. You will be collecting information about the Oregon Trail using a series of websites. Using the internet, you will discover many interesting facts about this long and dangerous journey. The information you gather will be placed on a separate sheet of paper. HAVE FUN !!.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Using the trail map on the next slide, answer the following questions:
1) Where did the trail start?
2) Where did it end?
3) Name 5 places the pioneers passed through:
4) How much did it cost to outfit a wagon?
5) List food, supplies, clothing and bedding, guns and trading goods that pioneers needed to bring for their journey.
6) What did people eat on the trip?
See the next slide for an image of the “prairie schooner”
How to Draw an Oregon Trail Wagon
The pioneers on the Oregon Trail traveled in a covered wagon.
7) Why was the wagon covered?
8) What is another name for the wagon?
9) The wagon weighed 1200 - 1500 lbs. empty and was pulled by a team of 2 to 4 _______.
10) Draw a picture of the wagon and label four parts.
11) What was a wagon train?
12) What did they do with the wagons at night?
13) Why was this done?
14) What was the leader of the caravan called?
15) Many scouts that guided the trains had been _______ or ________.
16) Who was a famous scout on the Oregon Trail?
17) Many things could go wrong during the journey. Make a list of 15 things that could happen.
18) How would wagons cross shallow rivers and creeks?
19) If the water was deeper, how did the wagons get across?
20) How long would it take for a wagon train to cross a river?
21) What was a typical day like?
22) How far did they travel every day?
23) What did the children do all day?
24) What chores were children responsible for on the trail?
25) How was the ride in the wagon?
26) Where did you sleep? What happened if it rained?
27) What did you do for clothing?
28) What did they use to make a fire?
29) How did the pioneers make their fires?
30) Explain the form/function of the following tools
a) Corn seeder
d) Draw knife
e) Grinding stone
f) Two person saw
31) What was a bullroarer?
35) What food did pioneers eat some variety of at almost every meal?
36) Choose a recipe from one of the websites that interest you. Write the name of the dish and why you selected it. Would you/could you make this meal for your family?
37) Which song is your favorite? Why?
38) What does this song make you think of?
41) Find the meanings of:
42) Create a list of words (one for each letter of the alphabet) related to the Oregon trail
For example - A - axle on the wagon
A $100 drink of water? A cow that started a war? Fun stories about the Oregon Trail