Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Welcome to the Interim Fire and Life Safety Course for Contractors and Consultants. Jeff Combs Cleveland Clinic Fire Marshal 216-444-6617 Fax: 444-2419 Cell Phone: 216-312-9566 E-mail: CombsJ@ccf.org. So…why are we here?.
Cleveland Clinic Fire Marshal
216-444-6617 Fax: 444-2419
Cell Phone: 216-312-9566
1.There are five possible types of fire permits that you may need to acquire:
a. Open burning
b. Hazardous substance
(City of Cleveland)
c. Fire retardant zipwall
d. Ceiling tile
e. Firestop penetration
Please call Tara at216-445-3438to set up an appointment for obtaining these. Appointments will be granted for 15 minutes
PER PERMIT.Permits, Permits, Permits!
Fire blankets for hotwork will be FM approved. To the right is an example of the symbol representing FM Approval.
(216)445-3438to register for class.
2. Smoke Detectors
3. Rated Barriers
a. Life Safety Drawing
b. UL# Firestop System for Joints
a. UL# Firestop System for Through/Membrane
1. On site
2. Engineering Judgments
c. Do Homework
1. Prepare electronic FSPP with table by filling in all required information. Information for the table will come from field contractor who filled it out by hand. (Sample on next slide)
2. Compile a list of UL# firestop systems from the table.
3. Go to website for STI etc to do a UL search athttp://sti.fmpdata.net/system_search.htmlor equivalent.
4. Acquire an electronic pdf for each system compiled and save in your computer.
5. Send and email to Cleveland Clinic Fire Marshal email@example.com attach the filled out FSPP and all pdf’s compiled.
6. Once FSPP is received, make sure that workers in the field have a copy of the permit and all printed copies of pdf’s. Permits in the field without the printed pdf’s attached are considered non-compliant.
These are as follows:
1. The contractor requests shutdown from project manager.
2. Project manager initiates shutdown notice.
3. Cleveland Clinic Fire Marshal will approve/disapprove and provide conditions (ex: fire watch)
4. Facilities will initiate shutdown.
5. Facilities will communicate to contractor that the shutdown is accomplished.
7. Contractor will do fire watch as required.
8. Contractor will advise facilities when complete.
9. Facilities will turn back on.
10. Facilities will communicate to contractor that fire protection is back on.
11. The contractor, being relieved of fire watch, as applicable, is free to discontinue.
12. Contractor will fax fire watch in real time within 30 minutes of being advised of being turned back on to 216-444-2419.
1. Smoke detectors shutdown in elevator lobbies.
2. Smoke detectors shutdown in smoke management systems.
3. Smoke detectors shutdown that control fire doors.
PULL…thesafety pin at the top of theextinguisher, (but let them know…CODE RED!!)
AIM…the nozzle or hose at the base of theflames. Stay between 6-8 ft. away from the flames.
SQUEEZE…orpress the handle (do not turn your back)
SWEEP…withwind in your favor from side to sideat the base of the fire until it goes out.
1. DO NOT move real patients, but rescue dolls.
2. DO NOT USE wet materials
3. PULL fire alarm box
4. DO NOT discharge fire extinguisher
1.) Patient Care Facilities, Ascertain Location of Alarm
2.) If Alarm is Adjacent, Floor Above, or Below
-Send one person to area with extinguisher to help and advise that doors are closed.
3.) Non-Patient Care facilities evacuate immediately
If your area is not listed under the fire alarm coded system, then it is non-coded. Occupied areas included are:
Patient Care: Voice Systems A, C, E, I (Eye), P, R
Patient Care: Interior Coded Systems U
Non-Patient Care: BB, CC, DD, EE, GG, JJ, L, NA-NE, UA, UU, W
Note: All oxygen zone valve shutdown will be by the
CCF Code-Red Team
Area Of Refuge
C-Clear all ambulatory out of stairs
C-Call incident command and provide information
S-Stage patients on stair landing
W-Wait in stair for emergency responders
01. Exit(s) or Corridor(s) were obstructed? [Exits obstructed]
a. Equipment/tools /debris blocking exit or corridor
b. Inadequate exit signage
c. Job to be shutdown while immediate issue is fixed.
02. Fire alarm and/or Fire Suppression system was impaired (firewatch)? [Inadequate fire watch]
a. Fire watch log not filled out at survey
b. Fire watch not occurring.
c. Fire watch log not faxed in realtime
03. ILSM barrier was not satisfactory or approved? [Inadequate ILSM barrier]
a. Door open to the site.
b. Door does not latch
c. Opening in barrier wall
d. Opening in fire retardant zipwall, except when approved negative air vent
e. Lack of barrier or zipwall where called for
f. No rated fire door barrier when it is required
04. Inadequate fire extinguishers on job site? [Inadequate fire protection]
a. No fire extinguishers on site
b. No fire extinguisher for hot work
c. Fire extinguisher is inaccessible
d. Fire extinguisher has no charge
e. In house fire extinguisher being used in project
f. Fire extinguisher out of date
g. Fire extinguisher have not received monthly visual quick check
05. Violation of CCF Smoking Policy? [Smoking on site]
a. Worker smoking at job site.
b. Worker smoking on campus and adjacent spaces to it.
06. Workers not trained in fire safety or ILSM (job board 8 items/ID)? [ No fire or ILSM training]
a. Worker has no ID badge
b. Worker has no temp paper ID card
c. Worker does not have temp paper ID card filled out
d. Worker using temp paper ID card with an old date indicating they have not attended the
e. No job board for the project
f. Job board floor plan incomplete
1. Missing sprinkler shut off valve
2. Missing sprinkler shut off tool
3. Missing all exits
4. Missing fire alarm boxes
5. Missing fire extinguishers
6. Missing barriers if applicable
7. Missing fire alarm display device if applicable
8. Missing fire plan
9. Permit not posted on the job board
10. Worker unaware of job board and cannot relate to inspector
11. Job board not organized for ready emergency use
07. Construction storage, housekeeping and debris removal unsatisfactory? [Poor housekeeping]
a. Debris and material being moved through halls without a hard flip hinged cover
b. Debris found at job site 24 hours after originally found
c. Area in need of clean up
d. Unauthorized storage of construction materials and equipment
08. No permit (open burning, ceiling tile, hazardous substance)? [ fire protection system impaired]
a. No CRRAS permit posted on job board
b. No OBP posted on job board
c. No OBP posted at direct site of hotwork
d. No HSP posted on job board
e. No HSP posted at direct site of where such are used/stored.
f. No NFPA 704 posted at site where Hazardous material is used and stored
g. No labels or cans, boxes, tanks, etc duplicating OBP number
h. No OBP for use/storage non hot work related hazardous materials
i. No FRZP posted where zipwall is hung, all locations
j. No FRZP posted on the job board
k. No CTP posted on job board
l. No CTP posted at all locations where tiles are out.
m. Permits expired or for the wrong location
n. No FSPP posted on job board.
o. No FSPP available where the firestopping work is occurring
p. No temporary firestop where required.
q. No city building or other city permits posted on job board
r. No city fire alarm or sprinkler system installation permits posted on job
board as applicable
09. Unsafe condition [tool unattended, electrical, etc.]?
a. Tool left unattended in open grid ceiling. Confiscated
b. Tool left unattended and plugged in on ground level. Confiscated
c. Unsafe electrical. Remove from site
d. Long materials being moved in the house without a spotter or flag.
e. Unsecured compressed gas tanks
f. Miscellaneous Hazard
10. No items noted (1-9 above)? [None]