Survey of Affirmatives By Garrett Halydier Liberty Debate Institute The Resolution Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase social services for persons living in poverty in the United States. What We Know So Far
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
By Garrett Halydier
Liberty Debate Institute
Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase social services for persons living in poverty in the United States.
2. Economy (Healthcare, education, tax credits, housing…)
Uniqueness: The economy is low now (for many reasons possibly related to your social service)
Link: Your plan boosts the economy (provides jobs, education, healthy workers, motivation, etc)
MPX: Economic downturn Nuclear War
(And probably turns the DA’s)
4. Food Security/Hunger (Food programs, housing, education…)
Uniqueness: People in poverty are hungry/can’t afford food
Link: Plan (social service) gives people access to food (food stamps, school lunch, jobs, cheap food…)
MPX: Food Wars are bad, hunger is dehumynizing, no quality of life, starving people die…
5. Education (Housing, education, tuition assistance…)
Uniqueness: Bad education now (low test scores, high drop-out rates, few debate clubs, no access, segregation).
Link: Plan increases education levels and access for affected group (young, old, college too).
MPX: US competiveness/Heg/Econ, quality of life, disease, segregation(Racism), poverty
9. Emergency Services (Emergency Services, housing, transit…)
Uniqueness: SQ Poor/inefficient emergency services in impoverished neighborhoods
Link: Plan allows/creates better, efficient services or operations
MPX: Racism, terrorism, health, crime
10. Civil-Military Relations (Any Social Service given to veterans in poverty)
Uniqueness: Vets not getting service now hurts CMR
Link: Plan significantly boosts CMR by redressing problems
MPX: Heg, civil war, democracy
11. Freedom/Dehumynization (Most any aff)
Uniqueness: People in poverty, w/o education, in violent situations, in prison, etc… are deprived of freedom/dehumynized
Link: Plan brings freedom from predicament
MPX: Freedom/Rights Good, Dehumynization Bad – Worse than death
4. This allows you to make your Aff very narrow and get better access to Racism/segregation advantages while avoiding big DA’s and even some CP’s!
5. It even allows you to claim special advantages off of which group of people you help – like the CMR advantage or a prisons advantage
6. Following is a list of some of the common groupings you may see.
11. Native Americans
12. Urban poor
13. Rural poor
14. Suburban poor (not suggested, you may get laughed at, but they do exist…)
15. Illegal immigrants
17. Those living in multi-family homes
18. And many, many more…
After exhaustive internet research I bring you a case-list of additional affirmative ideas that have gained some acceptance in the debate community, that you will probably see, and which could turn out to be pretty ok.
1. Census Restructuring (We don’t actually count all the poor people right now, fix the census, count the poor people, more are eligible for social services of all types)
4. Military abortion funding
5. Teen Pregnancy Assistance
The ocean tends to move it.