Noah and Gopher Wood. “Make yourself an ark of gopherwood;” Gen. 6:14a NKJV. 1. Did God have to say gopher wood twice ? Gen.6:14 “gopher wood” Gen.6:22 “all that God commanded him”
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Noah and Gopher Wood “Make yourself an ark of gopherwood;” Gen. 6:14a NKJV
1. Did God have to say gopher wood twice ? Gen.6:14 “gopher wood” Gen.6:22 “all that God commanded him” Heb.11:7 “By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.” “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Rom. 10:17
2. Suppose Noah wanted to use Oak ? God said : “gopher wood” Law of Exclusion Naaman - 2 Kings 5 Passover lamb - Ex. 12 Blue Print God did not say: “Do not use oak”
3. Would gopher wood be an expediency like tools ? • Needed tools • Could use tools he liked • Gopher wood was not an expedient • It was not a choice
4. Would grace protect Noah if he used Oak ? • Gen.6:8 - Found grace • Grace ~ how to escape the flood • Grace would Not ignore disobedience • If he had used oak then the wrath of God would have come upon him
5. Would the majority justify the use of Oak ? • Boys and wives ~ want oak • Noah ??? Vote 6 to 2 • God’s law not altered by the majority
6. What if division took place over the use of gopher wood ? • Who caused the division? • Is Noah at fault ? • Division is Not caused by those who stand for God’s word
7. How could unity be reached in the Noah family ? Should Noah ignore what God said ? Should he Agree to disagree and use Oak and gopher wood ? Would you want to Be on that ark?
Application ~ Kind of Music Vocal Mechanical Eph. 5:19 - “singing” Col. 3:16-17 - “singing” Heb. 13:15 - “the fruit of our lips”
Application ~ Kind of Music • Did God say not to use mechanical music? • God specified • Law of exclusion • Singing excludes other
Application ~ Kind of Music • Is mechanical music an expedient? • No! – it is an addition • Song book – is an expedient
Application ~ Kind of Music • Will grace ignore disobedience? • No • Eph. 2:8-9 “For by grace are ye saved” • Heb. 5:9 “all them that obey him.
Application ~ Kind of Music • Does the Majority decide ? • No • Gal. 1:8-9 “But though we, or an angel from heaven preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. Accursed = cast out, abominable, detestable, he is deprived of God’s grace “Anathema”
Application ~ Kind of Music • Who caused the division in the use of Mechanical music? • Those who objected ? • Those who introduced ?
Application ~ Kind of Music • How can Unity be achieved ? • Not agreeing to disagree • Go back and follow God’s plan
God told Noah to build the ark of Gopher wood ! “Make yourself an ark of gopherwood;”Gen. 6:14a NKJV He obeyed All were saved From the flood
God’s word is sufficient today “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:” 2 Tim. 3:16
Noah and Gopher Wood God’s word is sufficient today No authority for mechanical music God commands us to Sing! Heb. 13:15 “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.”
Sermon by Arthur Pigman Evans Church of Christ 515 Gibbs Road Evans, Ga. 30809 706-855-1249 email@example.com www.evansgachurchofchrist.org Sunday Morning April 21, 2013