Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
WSF IC Meeting in Parma, Italy October 10-12, 2006 COMMUNICATION COMMISSION TERMS OF REFERENCE ESTABLISHED BY THE NAIROBI O.C. FOR COMMUNICATION COM. identify and establish relations with popular media help social mobilization through community media
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
October 10-12, 2006
TERMS OF REFERENCE ESTABLISHED BY THE NAIROBI O.C. FOR COMMUNICATION COM.
The Commission noted with regret that there is no provision of budget for information and communication. Thanks to support from MS (Danish dev.agency), a person from Honduras has recently been provided to the Nairobi O.C. to act as facilitator for communication matters.However, to implement the media strategy, it is absolutely necessary to have an Africanprofessional figure dedicated for 3 months preceding WSF07 to media relationships in Nairobi, who has experience and knowledge of the African mediascape and civil society and speaks local languages.
Costs have been calculated in approx. 5500 US$.
The commission advises on the following:
1. Need to visit the editors of global mainstream press, as Candido has done in the past (New York Times, Le Monde, etc.)
2. Need a professional media and civil society expert who will act as a facilitating figure between the I.C. And African Communication commissions , in order to implement the common strategy outside of Africa, with the involvement of the existing resources of the members of the IC. Est. Cost: 4.500 euro, which requires additional fundraising.
3. Need to deal with mainstream media issues during WSF07, eg. satellite tv. Telesur (Venezuela) proposed in June to set up a satellite uplink. Need an official letter from the N.O.C. and a rapid follow-up.
-Eurovision/EBU World Feed is a service to organize the distribute the coverage of the Forum on a worldwide basis (350 national broadcasters), with the production of daily highlights.
-The estimated total production cost of the coverage for tv of the WSF to be distributed daily through an agreement with EBU and the Forum Memory (all video materials collected besides the highlights), as well as the technical cost for uplink and world feed service is approx. 35.000 euros (including production costs, travels, etc.). Additional fundraising is required.
Depending on the local internet connection and bandwidth, independent media will have the possibility to share and distribute their contents, through internet and satellite channels such as Arcoiris.tv, Ciranda, Carta Major, AMARC, IPS, Indymedia, ALAI, Flames of Africa, etc.
Independent media may also have dedicated spaces and if possible also share editing equipment, as in the last WSF in Brasil (eg. TVFORUM in PortoAlegre).
IPS is required to edit Terra Viva in Nairobi in strict cooperation with the African O.C.
- Press - need some mainstream newspaper (eg. Le Monde, Financial Times) to create a “pushing effect” on other media (ref. Candido). Est. Cost (travel and per diem to EU and USA: 10.000 US$)
- Radio - need to activate AMARC and other community radios (ref. Odour)
- TV Continental Africa (ref. Diana and Modibo)
- TV outside of Africa (ref. Antonio)
- Internet infrastructure must be also considered. Eg. Indymedia is asking if they can setup office and connectivity. The Media center must be conceived accordingly.
The Commission notes that this minimum plan for WSF 2007 in Nairobi has a total estimated cost of 80.000 US$, which represents 0.7% of the total budget of the 7th WSF.
- Facilitate the networking of the alternative media community on the WSF, through specific outreach activities (local and international).
- Outreach from general and targeted mailing list database obtained from previous forums, which should be provide to the Nairobi O.C. asap.
- Human Resources: 1 person for “outside” work and 1 person “inside” work (in Nairobi) for the 3 months before the wsf 2007.
- Every member of IC to give a list of main alternative media contacts in their country.
- Each IC member should commit to promote the Nairobi WSF with their media contacts.
- Each IC member should put a banner on their organisation's website.