Carlaw park. Rugby World Cup Stadium Richard Simpson. Carlaw Park. Britomart / Arena. CBD. Universities. Parnell Station (possibilities.) Heather St Ngahere Tce Tunnel. CTC. Kingdon St Station (possibilities). SH16. Hospital. Museum. Newmarket. Carlaw Park. Carlaw Park.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Rugby World Cup Stadium
Britomart / Arena
Kingdon St Station (possibilities)
T - Existing stations P -Potential stations CTC shown as a dashed line
Constitution Hill, Albert Park – part of green way leading to CBD
Create an Entertainment area &
focal point eg. ‘Stanley St Circus’
Improve access between CBD/University and Domain
Repatriate original Domain land
Revitalise Heritage warehouses
Daylighting of Waipapa Stream
Provide parking and rail services for Domain
Museum & Parnell
New Zealand ‘feel’ with iconic structure nested compatibly into valley of native trees and streams
Enable Greenway with cycleways and walkways from Newmarket to waterfront
Eden Park Stadium fits easily onto a Carlaw Park reamalgamated back into the Domain. The Caltex Station site would be needed for street access and setback.
SH16 is immediately at Carlaw Park’s front door
Looking North – next stop Britomart
Carlaw Park is a site for a Stadium beside a dual track railway line
Looking South – next stop Newmarket
August 28, 2005 — Residents are bringing their belongings and lining up to get into the New Orleans Superdome which has been opened as a hurricane shelter in advance of Hurricane Katrina. Most residents have evacuated the city and those left behind do not have transportation or have special needs.
The University is disconnected with the nearby Domain by SH16 and limited pedestrian and cycle connection.
Bridge Connections over the SH16 via the Stadium could seamlessly connect University to the Domain and provide safe access day and night.University-Domain connection
View today from what could be the main entrance of the Stadium looking towards the CBD – a pedestrian greenway all the way to the Queen St via University campus &
Albert Park. This convenient passage would put Auckland on show to tourists.
Often these areas have video walls, and places of focus such as round-a-bouts eg. New York Times Square, Shibuya Square (Tokyo), Piccadilly Circus (London).
The areas in the vicinity of Beach Road/Stanley St is an opportunity for a key pedestrian connection point but now devoid of design.
Could develop into a visually exciting place by Carlaw park this role as a place for people watching.
Close access to the Stadium, Vector Arena for after match social occasions and visual ambience.
Rail, roads, people, video walls, lights all dynamically choreographed in 3D.Turn the ‘armpit’ into a circus
Times Square (New York)
1860’s Beach Road waterfront
The roundabout at this location is the first landing site of the Tainui Canoe to the
Southern shore of the Waitemata harbour.
Auckland was born as a Park in July 1840 as the space between two streams
-the Waipapa (Parnell), and the Waiparuru (Grafton). The historic meeting
place where the two streams met is in front of Carlaw Park. The streams could be
Daylighted and featured in the design of the stadium (eg. Frank Lloyd Wright’s
‘Falling Water’) to embed place making into the Stadium design.
Chief Apihai Te Kawau
Streams shown on 1856 map by John Kinder
Carlaw Park was in the original Domain as defined by the streams.
The Domain is the oldest park in New Zealand and its original integrity
should be protected for this and future generations to enjoy.
Carlaw Park is on Waipapa Stream swamp land.
Carlaw Park site today
Domain is defined inside the paths of the Waipapa and Waiparuru Stream
1846 Map of the Ropewalk and swamp where Carlaw Park is today
Carlaw Park and the Mainline Steam Sites were part of the Domain. This map shows the
land parcel boundaries defined by the Parnell bank of the Waipapa Stream in 1850s.
The 1914 Railway line defines the Domain today. Over 4.3 hectares has gone missing from the Domain since 1860.
Carlaw Park & Domain
1850s map of Parnell and Carlaw Park area
This map illustrates the Mainline Steam area as being part of the Domain
in 1870s (known then as Auckland Park). The Domain has a boundary with
Gibraltar Cres Properties). Note Parnell Road was then known as Epsom Road.
Brookside was the name of Col. Matson’s property as it’s boundary was a
Brook (ie. Waipapa Stream). Similarly Claybrook is named for its Waipapa stream
association. Parnell’s Claybrook House (1842) is one of the oldest houses in Auckland.
Mainline Steam Sheds are on original Domain land. After repatriation this area
Could be retained as a heritage park, and front lawn for Parnell, where the Domain reaches into the suburb
The ugly facades facing the Domain and Railway could be invigorated into the front facades onto park land. Retail, and event services could liven the connections and expand Parnell to embrace the Domain. The allies could become passages to gates, and livened up with retail and cafes.
[2nd November 1860]
This Act defined the Auckland Domain (Government Domain) in Schedule 1 as:
“All that piece or parcel of land situated in the Parish of Waitemata in the County of Eden, containing 196 acres more or less, and known as the Government Domain or Auckland Park; - bounded towards the North-east by Suburban Section, No. 95-120 links, 300 links, 310 links, 306 links, 306 links, 304 links, and 300 links, and by a stream. Towards the South East by a road 1876 links, and by a road 960 links and 560 links. Towards the South by a road 569 links, and by a road 1187 links. Towards the South-west by a road 1612 links. Towards the West by the Provincial Hospital Grounds 299 links, 520 links, 824 links, and 220 links, by a streamdividing it from Suburban Section No. 18, to a marked Puriri tree, and by the said Suburban Section No. 18, 691 links and 396 links. Towards the North-west and North by a Mill race, by a line 175 links, and again by the Mill race, and by a line 423 links, and 405 links, to where the Boundary commenced.”
196 acres = 79.3 hectares (over 4.3 ha missing now)
1 hectare equals 10,000 square meters
The historic Waipapa Stream could be daylighted and the natural heritage of Auckland’s beginnings restored and preserved.
The stream could once again flow along its historic 1840 path. The stream defines the footprint of Pukekawa, the volcanic cone of the Museum Hill. This
The stream could be recognised in the iconic structure of the Stadium with techniques like Frank Lloyd Wright’s ‘Falling Water’ to create belongingness to
Flax Mill / Brewery (1850)
Old Grammar School
Schoolmasters (Kinder) House
Claybrook House (1842)
Old St Marys Church
Old Parnell Tunnel (1866-1872)
War Memorial Museum
New Parnell Tunnel (1915)
Hobson Park Road
(now Birdwood Cres)
Great Parnell Landslip (1866)
Domain Bridge (1840s – 1865)
Major Matson’sBrookside (1848)
Hulme Court (1842)
Domain Entrance (1872-1914)
(Under Railway Bridge)
Te Rauparaha’s Internment (1846)
Mainline Stream Train Sheds
Chinese Market Gardens (1850)
Lowe & Motions Flour Mill (1844 - 1866)
Robertson Rope Walk (1844)
Ireland Bro. Tannery & Dock (1845-1860)
Carson and Clark Saw Pit (1845)
Parnell Bridge (1845-1860)
Niccol & Sharp Boatyard (1845)
Arrival of first Settler ships (1842)
Waipapa Marae (1850)
150 year old pub – The Stand Hotel (Swan)
These heritage warehouses and old pub
have great character and could be used
In hosting events associated with RWC.
1856 photo by Kinder showing the Strand (Swan)
Robertson Rope Walk
James Robertson Built a Rope Walk to manufacture cordage
for ships rigging, mining, whaling, hang-man nooses, church bells
and a myriad of other uses. The Rope Walk was funded by
Gov. Robert FitzRoy, ex-Captain of the Beagle and shared his cabin with
Charles Darwin's for 5 ½ years during which he formulated his revolutionary ideas
that lead to him writing the ‘Origin of Species’.
Robertson Rope Walk initially powered by the flow of the Waipapa – Opened on May 11th 1843 (Kinder -1863)
Largest Rope in the World (1903)
Waipapa Stream entering into Rope Walk (Stevens -1887)
Passages down Parnell’s historic streets could lead to different gate entrances
of the Stadium enabling the Stadium to be reached from all sides for quick filling, and
Rapid dispersing of crowds.
Looking from Mainline Steam sheds towards Carlaw Park (on other
Side of the railway track). This view is taken from original Domain land
on the Parnell side of the track. This area could be amalgamated back
Into the Domain, and provide parkland and access to a station and Stadium