Chapter 5: RIDDLES IN THE DARK. 1. What happens when Bilbo opens his eyes?. He’s in complete darkness – finds a ring when feeling around tunnel. 2. What “magical” thing does Bilbo find when looking for matches?.
1. What happens when Bilbo opens his eyes?
He’s in complete darkness – finds a ring when feeling around tunnel
2. What “magical” thing does Bilbo find when looking for matches?
Little sword/dagger he got from trolls – blade shone pale & dim – it’s an elfish blade
3. What does Bilbo decide to do?
Move forward in tunnel
Old Gollum – small, slimy creature – 2 big, round eyes in thin face – had little boat
FLUMMOXED: bewildered; confused
5. What does Gollum want to do with Bilbo?
6. What is the desperate, last riddle Bilbo comes up with?
“ ‘What have I got in my pocket?’”
7. What request does Gollum ask? What are they?
* He gets 3 guesses
8. What does Bilbo ask of Gollum?
Keep his promise – show him way out
9. What does Gollum say he needs to do first?
Go & get some things to help them
10. What does Gollum have? What’s so special about it?
Golden ring – power (put it on finger & become invisible – only be seen in full sunlight)
GALLED: made sore by rubbing
11. What causes Gollum to screech?
Can’t find his ring
12. What questions do Gollum & Bilbo send back & forth?
* What is in Bilbo’s pocket?
* What has Gollum lost?
13. What does Gollum slowly start to realize about what Bilbo possibly has in his pocket?
Has his ring
14. What does Bilbo figure out about the ring?
Makes people invisible
15. What has Gollum eventually done? What’s the problem?
* Lead Bilbo to opening
* Gollum is blocking/sitting in opening
MENACINGLY: serve as a threat
16. What does Bilbo decide to do? What happens?
* Leap over Gollum to escape
* Flew over Gollum – he missed him – ran down new tunnel
* Bilbo thinks he lost the ring
* Finds it in his pocket – puts it on – vanishes from goblins