CHAPTER. 4. Police Organization and Management. American Policing. The purposes of policing in democratic societies: preventing and investigating crimes apprehending offenders protecting and aiding the public ensuring domestic peace and tranquility enforcing and supporting the laws.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1.Protecting the United States from terrorist attack
2. Protecting the United States against foreign intelligence operations and espionage
3. Protecting the United States against cyber-based attacks and high- technology crimes
4. Combating public corruption at all levels
5. Protecting civil rights
6. Combating transnational and national criminal organizations and enterprises
7. Combating major white-collar crime
8. Combating violent crimes that have wide impact
9. Supporting federal, state, local, and international partners
10. Upgrading technology to perform the FBI’s mission successfully
… the administrative activities of controlling, directing, and coordinating police personnel, resources, and activities.
Public-relations officers are appointed to “Neighborhood Watch” programs, drug-awareness workshops, etc.Police – Community Relations
… agencies that are skilled at creating, acquiring, and transferring knowledge and at modifying their behavior to reflect new knowledge and insights.
… the application of social science techniques to the study of police administration for the purpose of increasing effectiveness, reducing the frequency of citizen complaints, and enhancing the efficient use of available resources.
Questioned response time importance.Styles of Policing
Kansas City Experiments:
… DISCRETION = CHOICE