BALANCING CHEMICAL EQUATIONS. Chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances are converted into new substances with different physical and chemical properties. Signs of a Chemical Reaction. Evolution of heat and light Formation of a gas Formation of a precipitate
Chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances are converted into new substances with different physical and chemical properties.
1.Write reactants on left.
2. Write products on right.
3. Arrow between reactants and products.
4. Separate formulas with +.
6. Count atoms on both sides.
7. Balance using coefficients.
8. Check to see if balanced. Total atoms = subscript x coefficient.
9. Make sure coefficients are the lowest whole number ratio.
H2(g) + Cl2(g) 2 HCl(g)
2 H2O(l) 2 H2(g) + O2(g)
Cu(s) + 2AgNO3(aq) Cu(NO3)2(aq) + 2Ag(s)
Pb(NO3)2(aq) + K2CrO4(aq) PbCrO4(s) + 2KNO3(aq)
Determine which ions in the total ionic equation are spectator ions.
Spectator ions are those ions which appear in the same form in reactants and products.
Write Net Ionic equation by eliminating spectator ions from the total ionic equation.