EXERCISES. (Please refer to the notes “ APA-REFERENCING_NOTES_1pdf ). Q1-5: Choose the best answer.
(Please refer to the notes “APA-REFERENCING_NOTES_1pdf)
Q1. You need to cite a book that you read. The author is William K. Klingaman and the title is Abraham Lincoln and the Road to Emancipation. The book was published in 2001 by Viking Press in New York.
The correct way to cite this book in your bibliography is (see APA example #1, Book):
Q2.You want to include in your bibliography an article or a book written by two people.
The correct way to include both their names in the citation (according to APA style) is (see APA example, #2, Book):
Q3. You have an article with one author from a journal that you want to include your bibliography.
Here is the information about the journal.
journal title: Issues in Law and Medicinevolume and issue: volume 46, issue 4page numbers: 125-136.
How would you write just the journal part of your citation in APA style? This is the information you put after the author and the article title. (See APA example, #5, Journal)
Q4. You used information for a research paper from a website that is part of the Web4Health Web site that you viewed on Sept. 15, 2003.
The page you want to use is written by Gunborg Palme called: How Media Affect Body Image of Women. It was most recently updated on August 9, 2003 and the URL is http://web4health.info/en/answers/ed-causes-culture-example.htm.
What is the correct way to cite this Web site? (See APA Examples #12, Web Site.)
Q5.You are writing a paper on the ethics of downloading music from the Internet. One article you used in your research comes from the Wall Street Journal. The article is titled "Will the Music Industry Sue Your Kid?" It appeared in the September 10, 2003 issue on page 1D and was written by Carl Bialik.
You want your professor to know that you are using ideas from this article or paraphrasing, but you are not quoting directly. (See APA Examples #16, Parenthetical Reference.)
What is the correct way to make a parenthetical reference when you are quoting or paraphrasing another author's work?
a. Since the music industry has begun to sue young people who are helping download huge amounts of music from the Internet, some parents fear that they will have to pay large sums of money to protect themselves. Parents do not have to worry about being sued if they are unaware what their kids are doing. (Bialik, 2003)
5. Article from journal with 1 author:
Author's last name, First and second Initial. (Year). Article title. Journal Title, volume number
italicized(issue number), page numbers.
Author's Last Name, First and Second Initial. (Year, Month and date if given). Title of article,
document, or short work. In Title of the website (italicized). Retrieved month, day, year, from URL.
1. In 1968 David & Charles published an illustrated history of The Kennet & Avon Canal written by Kenneth R. Clew.
2. There is a book called British Science and Politics since 1945 by Thomas Wilke which Basil Blackwell published in 1991.
3. Josephine M. Guy wrote a book called The British Avant-Gardwhich was published by the Harvester Wheatsheaf press in 1991.
1. There is a good review article by Bernard Lovell called “Into the cosmic depths”. It is on page 7 of The Times Literary Supplement for 9 August 1991, issue number 4610.
2. D. Nicholas wrote a review article called “Theories of acids and bases”, which was published in the journal Chemistry Student in 1967. It runs from p. 33 to 38 of issue no. 2 of volume 1 of the journal. The same article was subsequently reprinted on pp. 191-204 of a book called Modern Chemistry edited by J.G. Stark and published by Penguin in 1970. (Write two separate descriptions.)
3. Convert the following information into a bibliography, arranging the entries in alphabetical order of first author’s (editor’s) names.
1. There is a book by Robert A. Solo that you will need. It was published by Macmillan of New York in 1991 and is called The Philosophy of Science and Economics.
2. Recently my wife bought me an early copy of the Pelican Metals in the Service of Man by William Alexander and Arthur Street from our local Oxfam shop; it is the third edition, published by Penguin in 1946.
3. In volume 10, issue no. 3 of Contemporary Physics, published in 1969, there is an article “Electrolysis and simple cells” by R. Parsons on pp. 205-20.
4. I am keen to get hold of a book by Ahmad Y. Al Hassan and Donald R. Hill, published in 1991 by the Cambridge University Press under the title Islamic Technology: an Illustrated History.