2014 Annual Technical Review Workshop. MHPSS In Dadaab Dr Adan/Birongo March 2014. Background. In the WHO constitution the concept of Health is defined as “ not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”, but rather, “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being’’
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
MHPSS In Dadaab
and psychosocial support is not present and there may be significant differences in the organisation
and quality of service provision between the various camps.
-Facility based consultations
-Community based /family support
-Referrals where necessary
-Home Visits/community sensitization
- play/art therapy
Key:1. Depression, 2. Anxiety, 3. Epilepsy, 4. MUPS, 5. Bipolar, 6. Schizophrenia, 7. PTSD, 8. DIP, 9. Intellectual Disability, 10. Others
Public Health Section, DPMS UNHCR Geneva) visited the camp and made several recommendations (See Report)
• A Community Based Approach in UNHCR operations
• Accountability Framework for age, gender, diversity mainstreaming
• Education Strategy 2012-2016
• Working with persons with disabilities in forced displacement
• IASC Guidelines on Gender-Based Violence in Humanitarian Settings.
• Community-based Rehabilitation: CBR Guidelines
• The minimum requirement according to the new Operational Guideline for MHPSS is to have at least one qualified Mental Health Officer per camp (at this moment this is not the case in Kambioos, Hagadera and in Ifo-2).
• For the incentive staff in the various mental health programmes a standardized mental health training can be organized, for about 5 days, using the mhGAP IG - humanitarian version.