English language quiz. Created by: Yildan Husnu. 1. What is the most commonly used letter in the English alphabet? Clue: it is one of the vowels. Answer:. E. 2. The first letters of the months July through to November spell which boys name?. Answer:. Jason.
Created by: Yildan Husnu
1. What is the most commonly used letter in the English alphabet? Clue: it is one of the vowels.
2. The first letters of the months July through to November spell which boys name?
3. There are only 4 words in the English language which end in 'dous‘, two of these are: hazardous and stupendous. List at least one more.
4. What is the oldest word in the English language: town, lamb or infant?
5. The first English dictionary was written in which year:1955, 1855 or 1755?
6. How many million people use the English language as their ‘mother tongue’ (their first language): 2 million, 25 million, 400 million?
7. How many million people speak English as a second language: 70 million, 300 million, 700 million?
8. How many different ways can the combination ‘ough’ be pronounced: two, four, or nine?
“A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and he hiccoughed.”
9. There are only two words in the English language that end with ‘ry’: ‘hungry’ is one of them, what’s the other?