Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Support to Livestock Production and Marketing in Traditional Rainfed Farming Areas. August, 28 – MDTF N OC Meeting Initial Project Proposal GNU Ministry of Animal Resources and Fisheries. Livestock production is a major contributory to Sudan’s economy - 20% of GDP & 50 % of Agricultural GDP.
August, 28 – MDTF N OC Meeting
Initial Project Proposal
GNU Ministry of Animal Resources and Fisheries
- 20% of GDP & 50 % of Agricultural GDP.
- Livestock mostly in traditional rainfed farming areas (Western, Central and Eastern Sudan).
- Three systems: nomadic, transhumance (agro pastoralism), sedentary agriculture.
- An important capital asset (mitigate impact of drought ,crop failure, finance….).
- Marketing arrangements are inadequate:
Lack of incentives for producers (subsistence production) to sell their animals = Livestock off take low.
- Disease: limited capacity of the government to control diseases / inadequate service delivery by private sector.
to provide livestock producers with :
1/ adequate services and grazing rights.
2/ improved market infrastructure,
3/ better marketing arrangements =efficiency.
1/ promote better integration of livestock and crop farming.
2/ give more incentives to producers to sell their animals.
which would result in
Higher livestock off-take percentage, increased incomes and reduced environmental degradation and conflicts.
Two Areas identified:
Component I: Rehabilitation of stock routes /rangelands though community-based interventions.
- rehabilitation work (demarcation, rangeland, water points);
-training and equipping of Community Animal Health Workers (CAHWs).
Component II: Support to livestock marketing development
- development of auction systems (with market price information, grading) at secondary markets;
- training of producer and trader associations,
- support to the private sector to develop abattoirs
- reinforcement of animal disease surveillance control system (training and equipment);
- strengthened the CAHW network.
Component IV. Technical Assistance
- study on land rights (should support the National and State Land Commissions);
- study the sector’s marketing arrangements and propose marketing reform interventions;
- conduct a livestock population estimate/ census (NORTH AND SOUTH).
- Draft IPP discussed with technical agencies, line institutions and donors.
- FPP preparation started with the support of FAO first mission in July/August.
Points to be addressed carefully during the preparation process:
- Involvement of communitiesand role of agriculture; how to consult and involve all concerned communities in a balanced manner?
- Need to set up an implementation structure that:
Final Project Proposal to be prepared by the end of the year