Using Basals: Determining How to use Basals Effectively. Understanding the basal. 1. Used in 9 to 10 primary classrooms in the U.S. 2. Used in 85% of the intermediate classrooms 3. Have come in several forms forms over time: The first was the hornbook 1830 The McGuffey’s Eclectic Reader
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Used in 9 to 10 primary classrooms in the U.S.
2. Used in 85% of the intermediate classrooms
3. Have come in several forms forms over time:
3.Students’ and teacher’s workbooks
4. Supplemental practice and
1. Scope and sequence chart
2. Reduced version of the student’s text
3. Suggested lesson plan for the teacher
called primers. They often contain decodable text: text where 90% of the words have been previously learned or the phonics rules for them have been previously learned. (10% new words)
Roach Van Allen
END: Back to first slide
1. _Is extensive and user-friendly
2. _Supports curriculum standards/goals/objectives
3. _Offers teaching/grouping choices
4. _Provides multiple tasks to meet individual needs for prior knowledge, literacy support, writing options, etc.
5. _Highlights skills/strategies for vocabulary, decoding, comprehension, study skills, graphics, and technology at point of use
6. _Includes intervention strategies/lessons
7. _Traces skills/strategies (Scope and Sequence chart)
8. _Incorporates varied assessment options books and written for literary value, not for being decodable. Reading strategies are taught within the context of the stories as they are being read and as they come to be needed,, rather on the curriculum’s schedule.
9. _Enhances cross-curricular connections
10. _Heightens cultural perspectives
11. _ Demonstrates process writing/leveled projects
12. _ Integrates spelling and grammar instruction
13. _Implements charts, report utility, Internet capability
14. _Has theme organized/utilized
15. _Suggests classroom library/complete lessons