1. Chapter 10 Early Paleozoic Events
2. The Phanerozoic Eon Phanerozoic = "visible life".
542 million years ago to the present
Consists of three eras (from oldest to youngest):
Paleozoic = "ancient life" (542-251 m.y. ago)
Mesozoic = "middle life" (251-65.5 m.y. ago)
Cenozoic = "recent life" (65.5 m.y. ago - present)
3. Paleozoic Era The Paleozoic Era can be divided into:
Early Paleozoic = Cambrian, Ordovician and Silurian
Late Paleozoic = Devonian, Carboniferous (Mississippian & Pennsylvanian in N. Amer.), and Permian
4. The Paleozoic Era The Paleozoic is characterized by long periods of sedimentation punctuated by mountain building.
5. Paleozoic rocks of the platform are relatively flat-lying to gently dipping. Paleozoic rocks in the Ouachita-Appalachian orogenic belt are folded, faulted, metamorphosed, and intruded by granitic rocks.