Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
A systematic review and meta-analysis of oncologic outcomes in localized resectable soft-tissue sarcoma. Emad Al-Absi MD Forough Farrokhyar PhD Rajrish Sharma MD Kaitlyn Whelan Tom Corbett MD, FRCPC Malti Patel MD, FRCPC Michelle Ghert MD, FRCSC.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Emad Al-Absi MD
Forough Farrokhyar PhD
Rajrish Sharma MD
Tom Corbett MD, FRCPC
Malti Patel MD, FRCPC
Michelle Ghert MD, FRCSC
(1) Leibel SA, Tranbaugh RF, Wara WM, Beckstead JH, Bovill EG, Phillips TL. Soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities: survival and patterns of failure with conservative surgery and postoperative irradiation compared to surgery alone. Cancer 1982; 50(6):1076-1083.
of treatment effects in observational studies reported after 1984 are either consistently larger than or qualitatively different from those obtained in randomized, controlled trials.’ (N Engl J Med 2000;342:1878-86.)
studies (with either a cohort or a case–control
design) do not systematically overestimate the magnitude of the effects of treatment as compared with those in randomized, controlled trials on the same topic.’ (N Engl J Med 2000;342:1887-92.)
To determine oncologic outcomes in pre- vs. postoperative radiation in localized resectable soft-tissue sarcoma
Potentially relevant papers screened (n=1794)
Excluded solely based on abstract
Full article reviewed for further evaluation
Trial did not meet inclusion criteria n=10
1 review article
1 no pre-operative arm
6 no oncologic outcomes
2 cohorts included in subsequent publications
Papers used in meta-analysis (n=5)
1. O'Sullivan,B. et al. Preoperative versus postoperative radiotherapy in soft-tissue sarcoma of the limbs: a randomised trial. Lancet.359, 2235-2241 (2002).
2. Suit,H.D., Mankin,H.J., Wood,W.C. & Proppe,K.H. Preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative radiation in the treatment of primary soft tissue sarcoma. Cancer.55, 2659-2667 (1985).
3. Cheng,E.Y., Dusenbery,K.E., Winters,M.R. & Thompson,R.C. Soft tissue sarcomas: preoperative versus postoperative radiotherapy. J. Surg. Oncol.61, 90-99 (1996).
4. Kuklo,T.R. et al. Preoperative versus postoperative radiation therapy for soft-tissue sarcomas. Am. J. Orthop.34, 75-80 (2005).
5. Zagars,G.K. et al. Preoperative vs. postoperative radiation therapy for soft tissue sarcoma: a retrospective comparative evaluation of disease outcome. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys.56, 482-488 (2003).