New Horizon College English. Unit 1 Section B. The Romantic Life of Secret Agent Albert. 新 视 野. Test Yourself----- Multiple Choice. Back. Directions: For each sentence there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Unit 1 Section B
The Romantic Life of Secret Agent Albert
Directions: For each sentence there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence.
1. Fuel scarcities and price increases ____ automobile designers to develop completely new lines of small cars and trucks.
A) prompted B) persuaded
C) imposed D) enlightened
2. As he was the only person who has the key, Simon felt himself ____ suspicion.
A) under B) in
C) beyond D) upon
3. It was such a grand view that it ____ strong emotion in us sight-seers.
A) roused B) rose
C) arose D) aroused
4. It was ____ of you not to play the piano while I was having a sleep.
A) considerate B) careful
C) considering D) considerable
5. Some of the old ____ about the space age are coming true.
A) fantasiesB) delusions
C) nightmares D) impressions
6. A lot of old buildings in the town were ruined during the earthquake, but they were beautifully ____ soon by the local people. A) recovered B) restored C) resumed D) returned
7. Reading ____ the mind only with materials of knowledge; it is thinking that makes what we read ours.
A) rectifies B) prolongs C) minimizes D) furnishes
8. While the development of the suburbs has created problems, it has also provided ____ modern housing for millions of people. A) excessive B) immense C) memorable D) substantial
9. She worked hard at her task before she felt sure that the results would ____ her long effort. A) justify B) testify C) rectify D) verify
10. Hunger could be his only for killing a living thing.A) sensation B) cause
C) purpose D) motive
11. I will ____ my lawyer to write out the agreement.
A) inform B) notify
C) announce D) report
12. A benefit performance is a performance for which a charitable organization has bought out at a discounted price and ___ funds by selling tickets at a full price.
A) furnishes B) raises C) accumulates D) contributes
13. Although these people knew that their boss was in a difficult situation, they were still ____ him. A) sticking to B) sticking with C) sticking on D) sticking by
D) sticking by
14. The secret agent concealed his real mission, so many local people were____ into thinking that he was a good person.
A) betrayed B) driven
C) deceived D) convinced
15. The coming of the railways in the 1830s ____ our society and economy.
A) transferredB) transformed
C) transmitted D) transported
16. One day, you will have to ____ this foolish behavior. A) payB) pay for C) pay back D) pay off
B) pay for
17. The French pianist who had been praised very highly ____ to be a great disappointment.
A) turned upB) turned out
C) turned in D) turned down
B) turned out
18. He has never done this type of work before; I am not sure how he will fit _____ with it.
A) in B) on
C) into D) up
19. She cut her hair short and tried to ______ herself as a man. A) decorateB) disguise
C) fabricateD) fake
20. Your advice would be ___ valuable to him,
who is at present at his wits’ end.
A) exceedingly B) excessively
C) extensively D) exclusively
21. At first, the speaker was referring to the problem of pollution in the country, but halfway in her speech, she suddenly ___ to another subject.
A) committed B) switched
C) favored D) transmitted
22. On hearing the bad news, she sprang up ______.
A) for a start B) with a start
C) at the start D) from the start
B) with a start
23. Wouldn’t it be wise to _____ the possibility of rain before planning the garden party?
A) check in B) check through
C) check out D) check on
D) check on
24. It was such a solemn occasion that not even a child ____ a sound.
A) delivered B) uttered
C) voiced D) spoke
25. My father seemed to be in no ____ to look at my school report.
A) emotion B) mood
C) attitude D) feeling
26. His face ____ with pain when badly hurt by the shopkeeper.
A) contracted B) was twisted
C) was twinkled D) twisted
B) was twisted
27. The naughty boy ____ in his shoes when he saw the cane in his father’s hand.
A) shivered B) trembled
C) frightened D) feared
28. The students couldn’t _____ what the teacher was trying to explain.
A) grip B) seize
C) grasp D) snatch
29. The older New England villages have changed relatively little ____ a gas station or two in recent decades.
A) except for B) in addition to
C) except D) besides
A) except for
30. Having come from a ____ society, Dick found it hard to adjust to a small town.
A) abundant B) wealthy
C) sufficient D) large
laugh to oneself
risk one’s life for sth
a paper of singular importance
affect the course of history
as the light came on
you gave me quite a start
raise the devil
smiled an evil smile
from our standpoint
answer the door
black with anger
not hesitate to do sth
read about / of:discover or find out about
sb. / sth. by reading 读到
read to oneself 默读
read sb. 了解/理解某人
read between the lines 理解言外之意
Every day he comes back, he begins to read about stock prices .
romantic:a.1. appealing to fancy 传奇性的，有浪漫色彩的 2. not practical 不实际的，空想的
a romantic girl 浪漫的女孩
romantic life 传奇的/浪漫的生活
romantic notions 不切实际的想法
The romantic tales of love and war are very popular particularly with young people.
for one thing…; for another…：一则······,二则······;原因之一是······,原因之二是······
1. For one thing, I don’t like the colour, and for another the price is too high.
2. Walkman is quite popular among young people. For one thing, it’s convenient and inexpensive; for another it brings them much pleasure.
2. 随身听在年轻人中很流行。一是因为它方 便、便宜。二是因为它能给人们带来精神享受。
deal in: trade in; buy and sell 经营，做······买卖
比较: deal with处理，应付，对付
1. That joint venture mainly deals in the textile products made in China.
2. The sick man was difficult to manage but the nurse dealt with him all right.
vt.hide or cover up 伪装；掩盖
1. He looked like a farmer, but he was really a policeman in disguise.
2. He made no attempt to disguise his anger.
mysterious:a.hard to explain or understand 神秘的，难解的，不可思议的
1. He died in mysterious situations and the police are looking into it.
2. She’s an actress whose life has remained mysterious, despite the many interviews she has given.
exploit:n. brave and adventurous acts 英勇的行为, 冒险的行为 vt.利用，开发,剥削
1. His wartime exploits were later made into a film and a television series.
2. The western development is to exploit the abundant water-power, mine and other natural resources of the western area.
exceedingly:adv.to an unusual degree非常地，极度地
ex-: out; beyond (向外，超出)
export 出口, 输出
expose 展开, 揭露
proceedv. 前进, 进行
procedure n.步骤, 手续
procession n. 行进的行
succeed v. 继承，接续
excessn. 过度, 过分
excessive adj. 过多的,
ceed, cede, cess: go; move forward (走)
switch on:connect (electricity or an appliance) 接通, 开启
turn on 打开 switch off/turn off 关闭 switch (over) to 切换到，转变成
1. Entering the room, he switched on the light and began to read a novel.
2. As the new semester has begun, we must switch over to our studies.
thrill:n.a feeling of excitement by sth. pleasant 兴奋, 激动, 紧张感 vt.使激动, 使兴奋
a thrill of pleasure 一阵惊喜a thrill of fear 一阵恐慌a thrill of discovery 发现之惊喜a thrill of joy 一阵高兴
If something thrills you or if you thrill at something, it gives you a feeling of great pleasure and excitement.
except for:with the exception of; apart from 除······ 之外（不同类）
except 表示“除······之外”(不包括在内) besides 表示“除······之外” (包括在内)
1. I know nothing about him except for the fact that he lives next door.
2. This essay is really well-written except for some spelling mistakes .
swear:vt.1. promise to tell the truth or do sth. in a particular way 发誓 2. use rude words in anger or surprise 咒骂
1. Released from the prison, he swore to turn over a new leaf.
2. Before giving evidence, the witness must swear that he or she will tell the truth.
devil:n.an evil being, often in human form but with a tail and horns 魔鬼
raise the devil / hell / the roof (with) 非常生气，大声抱怨between the devil and the blue sea 进退维谷like the devil 拼命地go to the devil 堕落
When the seller refused to pay compensation for the customers, many people present raised the devil with him.
utter:a.complete; extreme 完全的，彻底的 vt.make (a sound or sounds) with the mouth or voice发出，说
utter darkness一片漆黑 utter nonsense一派胡言 an utter stranger完全不认识的人 utter a word说一句话
utter a cry of pain发出痛苦的喊叫
utter a sound发出声音
simplify: vt.make sth. easy to do or understand; make simple 使易懂；简化
-fy: 使成为······, 变成······，······化
simple + -fy simplify简化
pure + -fy purify净化
solid + -fy solidify加固
beauty + -fy beautify美化
clear + -fy clarify使明确
mood:n.the way to feel at a particular time 心情，情绪
in a good / bad mood 情绪好或不好
in the / no mood for sth. or to do sth.
1. If you are in a bad mood, you feel angry and impatient.
2. I like to go to the cinema when I am in the mood for it.
check on:make sure that sb. / sth. is correct, safe as by examination 检查，核实，调查
2. The police are checking on every passenger to make sure that everything is all right.
swift:a.quick or rapid 快的，迅速的， 敏捷的
a swift decision 迅速的决定
a swift movement 迅速的移动
be swift to do sth. 做······ 迅速
be swift in (doing) sth. 做······ 速度快
be swift to anger 易于发怒的
twist: vt.1. bend or crush弯曲或挤压 2. give a false meaning to (words) 曲解，歪曲 n.a change in the way that sth. happens 变化，转折，改变
twist one’s body 扭动身体
twist sth. into … 把······ 扭成
twist sth. around sth. else 把······缠在······
a twist of fate 命运的转机
give sth. a twist 把······拧一下
grasp:vt.1. hold sth. firmly 抓住 2. understand, esp. sth. difficult 理解，领悟 n.抓住；理解，领悟
grasp sb.’s hand 抓住某人的手
grasp an argument 领会论点
grasp at an opportunity 抓住机遇
in the grasp of sb. 在某人的掌握之中
thorough grasp of sth. 对某事的彻底理解within / beyond one’s grasp 对某事能够/ 不能理解
heave: vt.1. lift (sth. heavy) with effort 很费劲地举起，抬起 2. utter ( sth.) with effort （用力）发出（叹息声）
1. I was surprised to see the little boy heaving the heavy suitcase onto the closet shelf.
2. Tortured by the illness, the old man heaved a groan on the bed.
sigh:vi.take a long deep breath that can be heard, expressing sadness, tiredness, etc. 叹息,叹气 n.the act of sound of sighing 叹息声
sigh with relief/utter a sigh of relief 松了口气utter/heave a sigh 发出叹息
sigh over one’ unhappy fate 为不幸的命运叹息sigh for sth. 渴望，怀念
1. Hearing his failure in the English exam, he left the classroom with a sigh.
2. The old man was sitting under a tree alone, sighing for the good old times to return.
shiver: vi.shake slightly because of feeling cold, ill or frightened 战栗, 发抖 n.the act of shivering 战栗, 发抖
1. Your body will shiver when you are cold or frightened.
2. Hearing the good news, Mary gave a shiver of delight.