Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
MANOAH TEPA SOLOMON ISLANDS METEOROLOGICAL SERVICES SEVERE WEATHER FORECASTING AND DISASTER REDUCTION DEMONSTRATION PROJECT (SWFDDP) ASSESSMENT. TOPICS. Benefits from SWFDDP. Improvements on the lead times of alerting severe weather in the S olomon Islands Meteorological Services (SIMS)
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
SOLOMON ISLANDS METEOROLOGICAL SERVICES
SEVERE WEATHER FORECASTING AND DISASTER REDUCTION DEMONSTRATION PROJECT (SWFDDP) ASSESSMENT
(1) Training from James Lunny and Peter Fisher
(2) Installation of METCONNECT SOUTHPACIFIC WEBSITE
Improvement and ability of SIMS to forecast severe weather .
.SIMS has the opportunity to access the Metconnectand the SPG Charts with a first experience of great confidence to issue warnings well on time.
.SIMS becomes very confidence in doing the ordinary forecasts too (non severe weather). Using metconnect and the other models.
(1) Starts a new Met. Station in Rennell & Bellona province where cyclones and tropical lows pass through or an area of formation.
(2) Planning to get a AWS over Tikopia or Anutain the Temotu province.
Meteograms (ECMWF) and you will realise that we have added or included all Met. Stations to ECMWF EPS meteogramsbecause of good results experienced.
- Verifying forecasts is always challenging in remote affected areas where there is no AWS and Met. Stations and we have to depend very much on reports from SI NDMO and Police.
-For the recent events, the warning areas have been excellent as highlighted by reports from NDMO.
-There is now public confidence on our forecasts and warnings as people have realised the improvement in the forecasts and warnings during the past events.
Before this project (swfddp) started we do not warn people on strong winds above 25 knots or swells above 2.5 m. We just give out general marine forecasts. SIMS only warn people on TC from Nadi and Brisbane ,and Flood Advisory on Heavy rain without thresholds.
(3) This Project (swfddp) and cascading process is expected to help SIMS for the next 15 to 20 years or more.
(4) Only solution is every country must be given chances to train to become Meteorologists .