Unit One Changes in the Way We Live. Useful expressions and vocabulary explanation. Useful Expressions. get by. 1. 过得去. 2. 寻觅心灵的满足. find contentment. 3. 自力更生的生活. a self-reliant life. 4. 艰苦的生活. a tough life. 5. 日常的家务 . household routine. Useful Expressions. as the old saying goes.
Useful expressions and vocabulary explanation
a self-reliant life
a tough life
as the old saying goes
Love / enjoy every minute of sth.
get through the winter
Ivy League schools
with sb.’s blessings
be employed full time
When it comes to …
14. 至于 ……
apart from …
standard of living / living standard
make up the difference in income
attend the opera and ballet
a tolerance for solitude
resist the temptation to do sth.
leave with a feeling of sorrow
a sense of pride
once economic conditions improve
How can he get by on such low wages?
It is a little bit difficult for the old to get by on such a small pension.
2. make it:
1) to be successful in one’s career.
He’s never really made it as an actor.
2) to succeed in reaching a place after difficulty, effort, etc
It was a terrible journey but we finally made it.
3) to attend sth.
I am afraid I won’t be able to make it to your party next week.
1) transport, as with a truck, cart, etc.
2) pull or drag sth. with effort or force
the act or an instance of improving or being improved.
6. indoor: situated or used inside a building.
7. spray: force out liquid in small drops upon
n. pursuit: the pursuit of higher education
11. get through: come successfully to the end.
13.illustrate: provide with visual feature; clarify by use of examples, etc.
15. pick up: be ready to pay
16. minor: smaller, less serious or less important than others
18. dine out: eat a meal away from home ( usu. in a restaurant)
23. scale: a relative level or degree ( usu. used in the phrase: on a … scale)
24. resist: keep from giving in to or enjoying
26. device: a piece of equipment designed to serve a special purpose.
haul, drag & pull 这几个词都是动词，都有“拖”、“拉”、“拽”之意。
Lorries haul heavy goods from factories to the ports.
You might drag a heavy box across the ground if you couldn’t lift it.
They pulled hard but the rock remained immovable.
The way that a pump works is used to illustrate how the
heart sends blood around the body.
Knights exemplified courage and courtesy.
Galileo demonstrated that objects of different weights fall at the same speed.
suspect: 1. believe to be true, likely or probable
suspect that…2. believe to be guilty suspect sb./sth. of
suspect, assume & presume这几个词都可用作动词，都有“主观 想像”之意 。
Assume意思是“假定”、“设想”，指把一件尚未证实的事作为事实或真理。 He assumed that the train would be on time.
The court presumed the death of the man that disappeared during the war.
1) be ready to pay
2) take hold of and lift up
3) gain; get
5) gather together; collect
6) collect someone or something from a place
1.Where did you pick up your excellent English?
2.Mary has been ill, but she’s picking up now.
3.She picked up a stone and threw it at the window.
4.Please pick up all your toys when you’ve finished playing.
5.If he loses the case, Michael will have to pick up the bill for legal costs.
6.I’ll pick you up at your hotel.