Abnormal Psychology. 3 major criteria for diagnosing psychological disorders - 1. Deviance-behavior that is not considered to be in the norm - 2. Maladaptive behavior-behavior that interferes with a person’s social or occupational functioning
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
- Costs more than $150 billion each year for treatment
- Schizophrenia alone costs up to $30 billion
- Lithium for Bipolar Disorder has saved approximately $145 billion since 1970
- Clozapine for Schizophrenia has saved approximately $23,000/patient annually
* - marked drop in school performance or increase in absenteeism
Class of disorders marked by excessive or chronic anxiety or apprehension
characterized by sudden and unexpected attacks of anxiety. Age of onset usually between 15 and 19
- marked by a persistent and irrational fear of things that don’t really pose a threat. Age of onset often between 7 and 9 years of age
An unusual disorder of ritual and doubt.
Obsessions are persistent and intrusive thoughts, images, ideas or impulses.
Compulsions are repetitive, purposeful behaviors that are performed in response to an obsession.
They understand that their actions are unreasonable, but cannot stop themselves. Age of onset is usually between 9 and 12 years of age.
- display of persistent anxiety following an overwhelming traumatic event
When a person experiences bouts of memory loss, due to loss of consciousness and have disruptions in their sense of identity.
At one end is severe depression, above which is moderate depression and then mild low mood, which many people call "the blues" when it is short-lived but is termed "dysthymia" when it is chronic.
1) saves time and money
2) clients realize that their misery is not unique
3) participants can work on social skills
1. Aversion therapy-an aversive stimulus is paired with a stimulus that brings on an undesirable response.
1. Psychopharmacotherapy-treatment of mental disorders with medication