CCNA Exploration Network Fundamentals. Chapter 03 Application Layer Functionality and Protocols. OSI and TCP/IP Models – Application Layer. The Application layer, Layer seven, is the top layer of both the OSI and TCP/IP models.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Application Layer Functionality and Protocols
The functionality of the TCP/IP application layer protocols fit roughly into the framework of the top three layers of the OSI model: Application, Presentation and Session layers
- Coding and conversion of Application layer data to ensure that data from the source device can be interpreted by the appropriate application on the destination device.
- Compression of the data in a manner that can be decompressed by the destination device.
- Encryption of the data for transmission and the decryption of data upon receipt by the destination.
- It creates and maintains dialogs between source and destination applications.
- It handles the exchange of information to initiate dialogs, keep them active, and to restart sessions that are disrupted or idle for a long period of time
- Domain Name Service Protocol (DNS)
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
- Telnet, a terminal emulation protocol
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
KC KHOR, Multimedia Univ. Cyberjaya
1. http (the protocol or scheme)
2. www.cisco.com(the server name)
3. web-server.htm (the specific file name requested).