“R.E.A.L. Friendships” • Pastor Dave Martin, Cross Creek Community Church, June 22, 2014
Exodus 33:11a“The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend…”
“Friendships” – Mutually shared interests, expectations, concerns and cares and that seeks the highest good for each other… The basis for real friendship is “phileo”, a tender affectionate brotherly type of love… “Agape”
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 9 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: 10 If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!
R.E.A.L. Friendships… R. Relatein love
R.E.A.L. Friendships… R. Relatein love E. Engagein activities
R.E.A.L. Friendships… R. Relatein love E. Engagein activities A. Advancespiritually
R.E.A.L. Friendships… R. Relatein love E. Engagein activities A. Advancespiritually L. Laborin maintenance
1. Love like Jesus, Sacrificially John 15:13 13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
1. Love like Jesus, Sacrificially Matthew 22:39 39'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
2. Relate like Jesus, Acceptance Romans 15:7 7 Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.
2. Relate like Jesus, Acceptance Proverbs 17:17 17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
3. Continually build “Chips”, Trust Proverbs 18:24 24 A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. “A man that has friends must show himself friendly…”KJV
3. Continually build “Chips”, Trust Proverbs 16:28 28 A perverse man stirs up dissension, and a gossip separates close friends.
Build Trust by… • Being Reliable
Build Trust by… • Being Reliable • Being Honest
Build Trust by… • Being Reliable • Being Honest • Being Open
Build Trust by… • Being Reliable • Being Honest • Being Open • Being Discreet
Build Trust by… • Being Reliable • Being Honest • Being Open • Being Discreet • Being Blameless
4. Maintain Healthy Environment, Boundaries Proverbs 22:24 24 Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered,
4. Maintain Healthy Environment, Boundaries Proverbs 25:1717 Don't visit friends too often, or they will get tired of it and start hating you. cev
5. Provide Mutual Instruction, Wisdom Proverbs 27:6 6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.
5. Provide Mutual Instruction, Wisdom Proverbs 27:17 17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Learn & Apply for REAL Friendships Ephesians 4:2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
You’re invited… Church Picnic, TODAY 12 Noon! “Carnival Theme” with dunk tank, face painting, bounce house, snow cones, and plenty of other games for all ages… Lots of fun, food & fellowship! Hope to see you there!