UNA-RWANDA. FREEDOM FROM VIOLENCE: PEACE SECURITY AND CONFLICT PREVENTION WITHIN THE POST 2015 –DEVELOPMENT AGENDA. Presentation Outline. Introduction : UNA- Rwanda, WFUNA and Freedom from Violence Section1 : MDG s & The Post 2015 Development Agenda Section 2 : Key S takeholders
FREEDOM FROM VIOLENCE: PEACE SECURITY AND CONFLICT PREVENTION WITHIN THE POST 2015 –DEVELOPMENT AGENDA
A Civil Society Organization – A peoples 'voice
To promote UN Ideals and Objectives (UN Charter)
Provide Platform for People to react on UN ideals and objectives
Not UN Agency
Legally registered in Rwanda according to the Law governing local non-governmental organizations.
World Federation of the United Nations Association
Uniting UNAs globally – participates in global discussions in regard to UN issues
Share its resolutions with the UN Security Council
Project: Freedom From Violence (what is it about)
Ensuring Peace & Security is the first concern of the UN (Article 1 of the UN Charter);
The relationship between Peace, Security and Development is important and relevant for all member States;
Aim of the Project: to build the capacity of key stakeholders to be able to engage in dialogue and advocacy for the inclusion of peace, security and conflict prevention in the post- 2015 development agenda.
some pros of mdgs
Background: Post – 2015 Development Agenda
“The post -2015 Dev Agenda refers to a process led by the UN that aims to help define the future global development framework that will succeed the MDGs when they come to an end”
Should be sustainable
Should include Developed countries
Should include element of peace and security
Framework – what we want
“A new, broader set of targets which reflect new global challenges”
The Post 2015-Development Agenda: What will it look like
Recommendations on what should the framework include:
Peace and Security
1. UN System Task Team : UN System Task team, established by UNSG in 2012 to support system –wide preparations for post 2015 development agenda
2. “Rio+20” : the UN conference on Sustainable Development, took place in 2012 in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil).
3. High level panel on the Post -2015 Development Agenda: Eminent Persons to provide guidance and Recommendations on what should be included in the post 2015 development agenda (reflecting on current development challenges).
The Relationship: Peace, Security Conflict Prevention and Development
What is Peace?
What is security?
What is conflict Resolution?
What is Development?
Women violence and development
Development concerns for children in conflict
Conflict, displacement and development
Land, housing and property
Accountable and responsive
Conflict and health care
Conflict and food security
Conflict and development
_ Raise Awareness on the need to integrate peace, Security and conflict prevention
- Capacity Building
- Be involved in consultations on the issue
- Influence the discussion (meet with decision makers to push for the inclusion, propose policy recommendations, Keep it at the forefront of the agenda).
RESOURCES and FURTHER READING