[GEFONT]. General Federation of Nepalese Trade Unions. An Introduction. Vision Statement. 'Socialism for the Dignified Working Class and a Prosperous Life'. Mission. To build awareness in working class on rights & responsibilities To strengthen unified pro-worker trade unionism
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Federation of Nepalese Trade Unions
'Socialism for the Dignified Working Class and a Prosperous Life'
GEFONT is a Pro-worker Trade Union Movement. Following are the basic Characteristics
Name of Affiliates Paid up Signature Associate Total
Manufacturing (NIWU) 1,000 3,500 4,300 7,800
Textile-garment (ITGWUN) 5,000 15,000 17,000 32,000
Transportation (ITWAN) ,853 12,853 39,802 52,655
Carpet (NICWU) ,000 5,154 15,326 20,480
Hotel (NIHWU) 5,538 8,000 12,000 20,000
Trekking (UNITRAV) 1,284 5,700 5,300 11,000
Press (IPWUN) 250 850 2,950 3,800
Tea-plantation (ITPWUN) 2,500 5,500 4,000 9,500
Auto-mechanics (NATU) 1,800 1,800 2,200 4,000
Construction (CUPPEC) 4,790 4,790 17,710 22,500
Garbage cleaners (IGCUN) 8,18 1,046 3,054 4,100
Food and Beverage (NIFBWU) 3,029 3,029 6,171 9,200
Chemical- Iron (NICIWU) 3,813 3,813 16,727 20,540
Riskhaw Pullers (NRPU) 3,000 14,000 4,000 18,000
Agriculture (FAWN) 3,000 35,257 39,743 75,000 Total 52,175 120,292 190,283 310,575
National Congress (every 4 yrs.)
National Council (meets every year)
National Executive Committee (meets 1/2 yr.
National Exe Cott’ee
1. From July 1993, GEFONT started a programme named - TRUE Campaign. Later, it was revised and modified as a 'Mobile Trade Union School'.
2. An 'Emergency Fund Scheme' was designed for the assistance and welfare of workers. It was established on December 10, 1994.
3. GEFONT is providing free legal services to the needy ones.
4. GEFONT launched a plan of action to implement OSH education and training through its subject committee.
5. GEFONT has successfully organised an International Trade Union Conference (ITUC) on ' Economic Liberalisation and Pro-worker Trade Unionism" From December 10-14, 1994 in Kathmandu. In order to co-ordinate activities among network members the conference entrusted the responsibility of ITUN secretariat to GEFONT.
6. GEFONT has developed its own strategy of progressive elimination of child labour. It is one of the on-going campaigns of GEFONT.
7. Policy intervention is one of the key area for GEFONT. GEFONT contributed lots with special emphasis on National Labour Policy since 1996. It resulted declaration of a national labour policy 2000. Besides this, there are several issues on which GEFONT has played a key role in policy formulation.
8. GEFONT is giving high emphasis to organise informal sector including agriculture.
9. Kamaiyas are the most exploited worker in Nepal. GEFONT organised a campaign and now, they have been officially liberated and GEFONT effort enabling them to enter in labour market is ongoing.
10. Under the slogan "Not Mere Representation but Participation", GEFONT has been gearing up Woman Workers' Campaign since 1992. This campaign aims at highlighting the women & gender issues at workplace.
11. The Campaign for Line Industry Federation has been completed late 1997 by restructuring various affiliates.
12. GEFONT planned to develop 100 all-rounder trade unionists by the year 2000 as one of the Human Resource Development programmes initiated after 1996 under GEFONT umbrella.
13. Workers' Co-operatives has been given due emphasis. Having several hit-and-trial exercises, GEFONT has come at a point to launch a Health Co-operative.
14.GEFONT has launched a Campaign for Labour Building Construction by year 2000. It is a symbol of Dignity and Unity of the working class of Nepal. The project has completed now, with a building inaugurated on 1 May 2000.
1. Educational Campaign
2. Organisational expansion & mobilisation
3. Development of a unified Trade Union Movement
4. Involvement in issues of social concern
5. Planned movement in basic levels
6. Social security campaign
7. Campaign for an effective implementation of
8. Programme for Human Resource Development
9. Workers' co-operatives for collectivism
10. Programme for financial independence
11. Campaign for woman workers
12. Action research and policy intervention
13. Joining hands with political parties for social
14. Foreign employment & programme for migrant
15. Development of international relation
16. Publication reflecting collectivism and based on