Do Now- Adaptations Over Time. 1. List two differences between an Alaskan husky dog and a Mexican Chihuahua. 2. Why do you think these differences are needed? 3. What do you think lead to these different features of the canine family?. small. Do Now. large. Adaptation.
1. List two differences between an Alaskan husky dog and a Mexican Chihuahua.
2. Why do you think these differences are needed?
3. What do you think lead to these different features of the canine family?
1a. Thick fur for winter.short hair for summer.1b. Long legs for walking in snow.Short legs for digging ground.1c. Big bodies for pulling sleighs.Small bodies for going underground.
a. Migration to other land
b. Separation of groups
c. Food supply
Hypothesis and a theory
A ___ is something that can be tested.
A ___ is something that can be tested by evidence to explain a natural phenomenon.
A ___ can be incorrect. (more than one word answer)
Can there be more than one theory? (yes or no)
theories are not
based on facts.
Intelligent Design Theory
Theory of Evolution
Ancient Astronaut Theory
Through adaption over time, the camel evolved with features to help it survive.
How did camels become the perfect machine in the desert?
2. What happened to the wooly mammoth and saber tooth tiger?
3. Why is the komodo dragon (dated 3.8 million years ago) still alive?
They no longer exists because they possibly did not adapt to their environment.
Saber tooth tiger
It possibly adapted to its environment and did not need to be evolved.
Identify each statement as Lamarck’s hypothesis of acquired characteristics or inheritedcharacteristics.
The tails of rats are amputated so their offspring will have no tails.
Both parents’ tails are curved therefore the offspring is likely to be curved.
I am knowledgeable because I read therefore my children will be knowledgeable.
If I cut my hair then my children will have short hair.
1. The tails of rats are amputated so their offspring will have no tails.2. Both parents’ tails are curved therefore the offspring is likely to be curved.
Acquired characteristics which is
Can be true
3. I am knowledgeable because I read therefore my children will be knowledgeable.4. If I cut my hair then my children will have short hair.
Acquired characteristics which is
which is untrue
3. Cows are bigger in size so there is more meat and milk for us.4. Nicotene in tobacco has been produced more to make smokers more addictive.5. Male birds are brightly colored to attract mates.6. Horses have become stronger in order to run faster on the racetrack.7. The Brassica species produced broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage and kale gives us a variety of vegetables to eat.8. Whales developed flippers and lost their hind legs to be able to live in the ocean.
videoshttp://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/variation/artificial/ (8min) http://www.teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=214865 (2min) http://www.sophia.org/artificial-selection/artificial-selection--2-tutorial (2.5min)
If a mountain separated members of a species then each group will change over time into ___ different species.
___ selection is that organisms which survive in an environment will reproduce pass down their traits.
___ makes one member of a species different from other members of the same species.
ear lobe shape,
What is the benefit in having variations in animals? Through ___ animals that have the best traits survive and pass these traits to their offspring.
What about variations in plants? There is no variation in plants within the same species because they share the ___ amount of water and sunlight.
3. The two ways that species can adapt to their environment are camouflage and mimicry. Camouflage is an organism blending to its ___ while mimicry is an organism that blends with a second ___ .