Shoguns and Samurais . 700 C.E. Japan built a new Capital. Nara - for the next 100 years it is known as the Nara Period. NARA looked like a copy of the Chinese Capital Changan. But Smaller. Nara had broad streets and large public squares. Todai-Ji Great Buddha Hall in Nara.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. The city of ________ became the new __________ of Japan.
2. The ___________ culture became a major influence in the city.
3. The city has ___________ temples and ________ shrines throughout.
4. The Chinese influence is seen in the ________________ and ___________.
They organized the government officials by rank. Emperor gave jobs to people in powerful families and they can pass it down to their son. For their service they received large estates and Farms.
>Japan had a Census, a counting of the population.
>People paid taxes in rice and silk cloth.
>Men had to serve in the Army
5. Emperors would pick _________ from powerful __________ to help govern.
6. Nobles would be given _______ and __________ to work the land.
7. A counting of the population is called a _________.
8. Taxes were paid to the emperor with ______ and ____________.
9. Men had to serve in the _______.
Buddhism came to Japan from Korea
600-700 C.E. Buddhism spread to the common people.
10. Buddhism came to _______ from _________.
11. ________ were the first to embrace Buddhism then the _________________.
12. Buddhism became a major ________ in Japan and it became a part of the _______________.
13. Eventually __________ grew between the Buddhist and the Shintoist.
Just like Nara a lot of Chinese influence found
Many Had Regents – people who rule for someone too young or too sick.
Under the Fujiwara Emperors were honored but did not rule instead the emperors studied Buddhism. Or wrote poetry in their palace at Heian
14. Emperor Kammu moved the capital from _______ to ________.
15. Emperors went from _________ to ________ many were ___________.
16. Many Emperors were too __________ and they had __________ to help rule.
17. These regents were from the __________ clan.
18. Fujiwara grew to great ________.
These warriors were called SAMURAI
Helmets had horns or crest with scary masks.
The Code demanded them to be loyal to their master
They have to be brave, courageous, honorable and not care about wealth
19. Nobles needed protection so they hired ___________ called ___________.
20 . Samurais were given _______.
21. Samurais fought on _____________ with ________, daggers, ______ and Arrows.
22. Samurais follow a code called
__________ and they will serve their ________.
23. Samurais would rather _____than disgrace the code.
The Emperor from the Yamato family was worried the Minamoto Family would try to replace them. So they rewarded Yoritomo to keep him loyal to the Yamato Clan.
24. Military Leaders were called ______________.
25. By 1100 C.E. powerful _______ started to fight against each other with ___________ armies.
26. 2 clans fought, _______ against ______________ and the ____________ won.
27. ____________ was commander of the Minamoto clan.
It was Known as a Shogunate
A government run by the Shogun and Military rule.
It will last for 700 years
Was a ruthless ruler, killed most of his family because he feared they would over throw him.
The Samurai bound by oath and loyalty to the Shogun. They became the leading group in Japan.
28. The Yamato rewarded _____________ with the title of ___________.
29. The Emperor set up _ governments 1 in __________ and 1 in _____________.
30. Kamakura was controlled by Yoritomo and was called ____________.
31. Yoritomo was a __________ ruler.
32. Shoguns appointed ____________ to govern the province, collect _________, and Keep the ________.
Led by Kublai Khan
33. _______________ was the emperor of the ___________ empire.
34. In 1274 and 1281 the _________ invaded Japan. On their way they hit violent _______.
35. Mongol Ships were __________ , the boats and troops that made it were ___________ by the Japanese.
36. The ____________ were named ____________ which means “divine _______”
37. Japanese WWII Pilots were named ______________ .
>The Samurais help the emperor with the rebellion and the revolt was a success. The emperor did not gain total control and the loyalty of the Samurai because he did not give them more land.
38. Samurais started to lose __________ towards the ___________.
39. Samurais aided the ___________ in a revolt against the ________________________.
40. The revolt was successful but the emperor did not gain control, ____________ _________ made himself Shogun.
41. He proved himself to be _______. Japan broke into _______ territories.
42. They were controlled by the _________.
they pledge loyalty to the _________ and the___________.
Japan’s Warriors fought each other from 1467-1477. Heian, the capital, is now Kyoto, was almost completely destroyed. They burned temples and palaces as they passed through.
43. The Samurai pledge _________ to the daimyo. This bond between lord and vassal is called ____________.
44. The _______ war lasted ___ years and Japan’s ____________ fought for control. The city of ________ was almost completely destroyed.
45. For the next _____ years __________ and __________ fought for control of Japan none were strong enough to unite the country.