2012 INDIANA COURT PERSONNEL JULY 2012 “YOU” & YOUR COURTHOUSE SAFETY AND SECURITY
INDIANA STATUTES • IC 36-2-13-5 The Sheriff Shall: attend and preserve order in all courts of the county. • IC 33-30-7-1 The Board of County Commissioners shall provide a suitable place for the holding of court. • IC 33-30-2-7 A judge of a county may adopt rules and regulations for conducting the business of the court
2012 Court Security Committee • Hon. Warren Haas – Grant County (Chair) • Hon. John Potter – Jasper County • Hon. Edward Najam Jr. – IN. Court of Appeals • Hon. Frank Newkirk – Washington County • Hon. Jeryl Leach – Newton County • Hon. David Riggins – Shelby County • Hon. Kim Schmaltz – Dearborn/Ohio Counties • Hon. David Kelley – Warrick County • Hon Marc. Rothenberg – Marion County • Hon. William Alexa – Porter County • Hon. Mary Goffinet – Perry County • Hon. Donald Currie – Carroll • Hon. Thomas Gray – Morgan County • U.S. Marshals Service---Indiana Sherriff’s Association---Indiana State Police
Rule 60.5-Mandate of Funds Courts shall limit their requests for funds to those which are reasonably necessary for the operation of the court or court-related functions.
Indiana Courthouse Security Minimum Standards 1. Each county shall form a courthouse security committee. Evaluate all physical aspects of the courthouse including internal operations, policies and procedures. Prepare a courthouse security manual available to all employees.
2. Each courthouse shall have a uniformed presence by a properly trained law enforcement officer during courthouse operating hours. 3. All weapons shall be eliminated subject to policy
4. Each courthouse shall have a duress system monitored on a 24 hour basis. 5. Windows and doors that are easily accessible on exterior shall be secured.
6. Public access to private work areas shall be controlled. 7. Each courthouse shall have appropriate safes and vaults.
Standards 1 thru 7 for all courthouses • Standards 8 thru 14 for courthouses planning phases of new construction or major renovations. • Standards 15 and 16 for planning of new construction.
8. Bullet-resistant barriers shall be installed in high-risk areas 9. Grounds and parking security shall be considered. 10. No less than 3 separate pedestrian circulation systems shall be established.
11. Courthouse information desk to assist jurors, litigants and the general public. 12. Courthouse shall have a public address system for emergency use. 13. Courthouse shall have smoke, fire and intrusion alarms and a fire suppression system.
14. Courthouse shall have emergency lighting and power. ***************************************** 15. Courthouse shall include secure sallyport area. 16. Courthouse shall include at least one secure holding cell for prisoner(s) close proximity to courtrooms.
REPORT ANY ISSUES TO THE PROPER AUTHORITIES! PLEASE KEEP YOUR EYES AND SENSES OPEN TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS BOTH AT WORK AND AT HOME!
What about this letter…………? “Not that we are advocating that any one go out and do this, but if one of these judges was killed because of what they had done, it should be ruled suicide by their own action and the Life Insurance companies should not pay their widows and children.”
Please keep your eyes open Thank You for your attention BE SAFE!