STRAND E EARTH AND SPACE: “TO INFINITY AND BEYOND” SC.E.1.4.1 SC.E.1.4.1 Tides The gravity of the Moon and Sun combine to pull on the Earth’s Oceans and form either Spring(Large Tidal Range) or Neap Tides(Small Tidal Range). Lunar Eclipse
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
EARTH AND SPACE:
“TO INFINITY AND BEYOND”
Phases of the Moon
The new moon is caused by the relative positions of Earth, moon, and sun. Why is the moon not visible during the new moon phase?
A.Sunlight is not being reflected off the moon.
B.The location of the moon is between Earth and the sun.
C.The far side of the moon is the only visible side.
Using background knowledge, compare the influence of the
moon and the sun on the Earth’s tides.
1. Mercury-Virtually no atmosphere
2. Venus-Highest surface temp.(475 C)
3. Earth-It’s ALIVE
4. Mars-Low pressure atmosphere; mostly carbon dioxide. Coldest average surface temp.
1. The four inner planets in the solar system are often called “terrestrial planets”. The four outer planets are referred to as the “Jovian planets”. Which of the following does NOT describe the terrestrial planets.
To support life a planet needs:
This diagram shows the lifecycles for medium and large mass stars. Low mass stars do the same as the top diagram (medium stars) but never turn into Red Giants. They skip this step in the process.
1. Scientists determine a star’s size, temperature and age from limited information. Since they cannot get close to study the star, which piece of information is the most helpful in determining the star’s life cycle?
Universe> Galactic Superclusters >Galactic clusters> Galaxies: spiral, elliptical, and irregular > Star Systems(Local Group)> Nebula,Solar Systems> Planets > Comets, Asteroids, Meteorites
At the speed of light 1AU = 8.3 min,
Therefore for 5AU it would take five times as long for the light to travel. (5 x 8.3 min =)
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!