Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Paper: “Impact of Software Engineering Research on the Practice of Software Configuration Management. Authors: Estublier, Leblang, Hoek, Conradi, Clemm, Tichy, Wiborg-Weber Citation: ACM TOSEM Oct 2005. The Impact Project . • Provide scientific scholarly answers to:
Authors: Estublier, Leblang, Hoek, Conradi, Clemm, Tichy, Wiborg-Weber
Citation: ACM TOSEM Oct 2005
• Provide scientific scholarly answers to:
– What impact has academic and industry research really had on the practice of software engineering?
– What future impacts should be expected?
– What future directions will software research take?
– ACM Sigsoft project (international)
– NSF and Sigsoft funding
– EU, Japanese, private funding
- Deliverables: journal articles, conference panels
2000 - 2003
• Reviews/Walkthroughs – Dieter Rombach/Dewayne Perry
• Configuration Management – Jacky Estublier
• Testing and Analysis – Lori Clarke/David Rosenblum
• Middleware – Wolfgang Emmerich
• Process/workflow/lifecycle models – Volker Gruhn
• Modern Programming Languages – Mary Lou Soffa/Barbara Ryder
• Requirements Engineering – Anthony Finkelstein/Axel van Lamsweerde
• Reverse Engineering – Hausi Muller
• Cost/Economic Models
The research must have been:
Other impacts not considered:
- people (graduates)
- workshops and conferences
The discipline of managing change in large, complex software systems.
Goals: manage and control corrections, extensions, and adaptations throughout lifetime of software system
- Systematic and traceable software development process
- Managing files and directories
Susan Dart, SCM-3, 1991
And,…remain universally applicable – PL and App independent
- System Models and selection: support aggregate artifacts – configuration concept
- Workspace control: distributed users?, integration of change
- Building: executable
- Support for general development processes to manipulate artifacts
- track changes at logical level
3 functions of the workspace:
Classic SCCS and RCS Systems –
no workspace management
CVS – first scripts on top of RCS
Need: avoid source file copies in 100s of workspaces
Sun/Forte Teamware – manage projects of subprojects
Virtual workspaces – only copies of files editing
ClearCase – avoid recompiling sources on builds
Software Process = sequence of activities during creation and evolution