1. Lesson 1 Chameleon Stories7th grade Lesson 2 Lesson 3 Lessons 4-6 Mervi Pietilä University of Lapland Spring 2004 Lesson 7 Lesson 8 Music lessons Links
2. CREATION PROJECT • Cross-curricular work: • English & Music & Literature & Movies & ICT • Thematic vocabulary work • Narrative writing
to find specific information on Websites to find material that could be used for project work to practise vocabulary and description associated with musical instruments and interesting characters 3. AIMS • to practise reading and writing
4. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
5. Orientation Saint-Saëns: Zoological Fantasy Ice Age Video / DVD Harry Potter Soundtracks The Lord of the Rings Soundtracks
6. Lesson 1Choose your own Character What is a character? Find out... Scot, Dot, Chicken Jane and a fat cat. Who is the main character? Movies Google or Find your own character Stories
7. Elicitation of ideas Describe your character (use WORD). 1. Write down his/her name and some words. 2. Use your SEARCH ENGINE: Search using a wildcard *: ”how*Batman is” or Link words into a phrase with quotation marks:”Batman is” or ”Batman is awonderful” or ”I like Batman because” Google
8. Lesson 2Musical instruments 3. Make a list of musical instruments that you already know. 4. Find some more and keep your character in your mind: Musical instruments; vocabulary
9. Lesson 3Restructuring of ideas Do you know him? What is his favourite musical instrument? A saxophone!
10. Orchestra Application of ideas Find musical instruments that: • 5. ”look” like your character: images • 6. ”sound” like your character; listen to the sounds • 7. ”act” like your character: instrumental families, history
11. 11. Homework: Mindmapping Who? Where? The Plot Task 8 How? What?
12. Lessons 4-6Reading and Writing • If your mind map is ready, start your writing. (Power Point) • Use your imagination, words and images • If you need some ideas, take a look at Stories
13. Lesson 7Feedback • Change places with your classmates and look at their sites Comments: What do you like? What could be improved? Send email or chat using your Messenger 9. Save your feedback; use Word
14. Lesson 8 Final revision The character? The musical instrument? The plot? The layout?
15. Comparison with previous ideas • 10. Write some notes (Word): What have you learnt? Do you like your story? • Save your story. • Send your story as an email attachement to your teacher. • Print your story and read it at home. Music Movies Stories
16. Music Lessons Compose MIDI music for your book by singing or playing any instrument. Add the sounds to your story. SOUNDS GREAT! 1.
17. Links My own links: http://www.kemi.fi/sauvo/mervi/Stories.htm http://www.kemi.fi/sauvo/mervi/Movies.htm http://www.kemi.fi/sauvo/mervi/Music.htm Microsoft Encarta: http://www.microsoft.com/products/encarta/tour/default.asp 1.