DIAGNOSIS OF ACCESS TO SERVICES AND PREVENTION PROGRAMMES AND REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH OF PEOPLE LIVING WITH HIV. INTRODUCTION. Components of "Health, Dignity and Prevention:
Components of "Health, Dignity and Prevention:
The study aims to contribute to the acceleration of results through a diagnostic study in the area of access to sexual and reproductive health for people living with HIV and help promote policies and prevention programs and services of Sexual and Reproductive Health targeted to PLWHA and those most at risk of HIV exposure
Trans women 162 (20%)
- Younger Population: mean age 33 years in Lima / Callao vs. 30 years in other cities
- 10% in Lima / Callao has no ID, on the other cities 30% do not have this document
- Majority have incomplete educational levels: 56% in Lima / Callao vs. 52% in other cities
- More than 80% are working (in sex work for more than half of participants in Lima / Callao and third. Part in other cities)
- More 3rd party receives less than minimum wage.
- More than 90% in Lima / Callao and 80% in other cities is not affiliated with any health insurance.
- All who are insured (25%) are affiliated to SIS.
Importance of antiretroviral treatment
... No, I do not think sexuality should affected, because I believe that by taking this medicine, we are increasing our defenses and we feel better, stronger to leave (...) Or is that not having a positive diagnosis let's stop having sex life, but as long as watching over and caring for the other couple, or couple of occasions (trans woman, Chimbote) ...
Diagnosis and experience of sexuality
- The diagnosis affects sex
The qualitative study found quantitative findings
In trans women with less traumatic attitude, there are changes in life with different nuances: low frequency of intercourse, but not interrupted.
But ... after I advised, I realized that AIDS is not synonymous with death, but life-changing, because what once was and I do not. In what once was 100% and I do not, I'll do 30 to 40%, now I care ... (Female trans, Tumbes) ...
- Fear of being unable to engage in sex
In relation to trans women, 13% in Lima / Callao and 17% in other cities reported having a steady male partner.
I would do “sinsoneo”.... Because sometimes like that man and I'll find out there is sometimes drunk ... (Female trans Pucallpa) ...
Preventive and sexual practices
The 44.4% of trans women in Lima / Callao believes that the primary responsibility of the PLWA and 37% think it is the responsibility of each person. In the other cities, 52% think it is the responsibility of each and 20% that the responsibility is shared.
- How to prevent HIV transmission (regular partner) [other cities]
- How to prevent HIV transmission (casual) [Lima / Callao]
- How to prevent HIV transmission (casual) [Other Cities]
78% of trans women reported having received information on how to avoid re-infection in Lima / Callao vs. 69% in the other cities. Less than third part asked about their sexual orientation in the last 12 months, which has been provided mostly by counseling and to a lesser extent by medical / as or midwives.
…Caring for the person who is with me, I should not be a promiscuous person. Take everything into control, do not make much mess. Very few fun. That's what I have said to me. (Trans woman, Tumbes) ...
Services provided to people
A good percentage, especially outside of Lima and Callao, report having had unprotected sex in the last month, which could indicate us to be less information and less involvement of health services.
There is a high consumption of alcohol and drugs prior to sex in this population.
Incorporated within the standard of care comprehensive minimum package of services that encompasses beyond HAART is routinely available within the care pathway users and include: Psychological, nutritional counseling, family planning counseling and prevention other diseases.