RESEARCH METHODOLOGY Masters/PhD. LECTURE REVIEW OF LITERATURE Assoc. Prof. Dr. Parmjit Singh. OBJECTIVES. By the end of this lecture you should: Understand what a literature review is Discuss the main functions a review of literature serves in research
REVIEW OF LITERATURE
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Parmjit Singh
By the end of this lecture you should:
1. Define the research problem as precisely as possible
2. Locate relevant secondary sources
3. Select appropriate textbooks (1-2)
4. Formulate search terms (key words/phrases) pertinent to research problem.
5. Search the general references for relevant primary sources.
6. Read and summarise key points in the sources.
While reading, focus of the following information and make short notes:
A was the earliest writers to discuss . . .
B made a valuable contribution to the discussion of this problem . . .
C argued that D had not used the appropriate methods . . .
In the 1990s E proposed a completely different approach. . .
The best study of this problem is perhaps is by F . . .
FOR YOUR KIND ATTENTION