A/ THE BETRAYAL OF JESUS BY JUDAS (JOHN 18:1-11). What is the defining characteristic of Judas?. 1 . Judas stands out as a man with impure motives. - which led him to betray Jesus for monetary gain. 2. John paints a stark contrast between Judas and Jesus.
- which led him to betray Jesus for monetary gain
a) Judas put his own interest first
- which caused him to devalue others
a) Peter easily buckled under pressure even though he promised to be faithful unto death
2. John highlights the differences between Peter and Jesus
b) Jesus demonstrated calm composure and regal authority throughout his arrest and trial
“ It was exceedingly thoughtless of Peter to try to prove his faith by the sword, while he could not do so by his tongue. “
- which led him to plot the death of Jesus
- which demonstrated that he had no fear of God in his heart
Are you and I aware that impure and evil motives render us equally guilty before God on the Day of Judgement? See Romans 2:12-16.