effective load carrying capability for wind power n.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
EFFECTIVE LOAD CARRYING CAPABILITY FOR WIND-POWER PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
EFFECTIVE LOAD CARRYING CAPABILITY FOR WIND-POWER

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 9

EFFECTIVE LOAD CARRYING CAPABILITY FOR WIND-POWER - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 105 Views
  • Uploaded on

EFFECTIVE LOAD CARRYING CAPABILITY FOR WIND-POWER. IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT ONE HOUR. WE SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ANALYZING ALL 8,760 HOURS TO DEVELOP A % OF PEAK RESERVE TARGET USING LOLP STUDIES

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

EFFECTIVE LOAD CARRYING CAPABILITY FOR WIND-POWER


An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Presentation Transcript
    1. EFFECTIVE LOAD CARRYING CAPABILITY FOR WIND-POWER

    2. IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT ONE HOUR • WE SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ANALYZING ALL 8,760 HOURS TO DEVELOP A % OF PEAK RESERVE TARGET USING LOLP STUDIES • WHEN WE USE THE % TARGET DERIVED BY LOLPCOMBINED WITH FORECASTED PEAKS THEN ALL THOSE OTHER HOURS ARE INTRINSICALLY INCLUDED • ERCOT’s CAPACITY SHORTAGES PERIODS OCCUR THROUGHOUT THE YEAR

    3. THE CDR/LOLP ARE AVERAGE • CDR LOAD FORECAST IS AVERAGE/NORMAL • RESOURCE SEASONAL RATINGS ARE FOR “AVERAGE” TEMPERATURES CONDITIONS • FINAL LOLP CURVE IS AN AVERAGE OF MANY WEATHER YEARS • LOLP FORCED OUTAGE ASSUMPTIONS ARE AVERAGE • LOLP MAINTENANCE OUTAGES ARE AVERAGE

    4. COMBINED CYCLE RATING vs TEMP

    5. Probability Weightings for Weather Years • Weather Year Probabilities based on NOAA data: • Extreme summer weather with a 5% probability • Composed of 2011 • Warmer than average with a 15% probability • Composed of 2010 • Average weather with a 50% probability • Composed of 25% for 2006 and 25% for 2009 • Cooler than average with a 25% probability • Composed of 3.5714% for the following years: 1998 – 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008 • Much cooler than average with a 5% probability • Composed of 1.25% for the following years: 1997, 2001, 2002, 2004 • The impact of the likelihood of 2011 weather is seen in the graph on the next slide.

    6. Study Results • Study results are dependent on selection of probabilities for the 15 weather years, as shown in the following graph:

    7. ELCC SEEKS TO FIND A RATING EQUIVALENT TO A REFERENCE RESOURCE • ERCOT’s LOLP PROCESS USES A GAS TURBINE’s ANNUAL CHARACTERISTICS TO COMPARE WITH WIND-POWER’S ANNUAL CHARACTERISTICS • THE RATING THAT IS DERIVED HAS THE SAME RELIABILITY VALUE AS THE GAS TURBINES, INCLUDING FORCED AND PLANNED OUTAGES • THE BULK OF THE RELIABILITY CALCULATION FOCUSSES ON THE PEAK SUMMER SEASON

    8. ELCC AND % RESERVE ARE LINKED • THE LOLPvs % RESERVE CHART CANNOT BE CALCULATED WITHOUT KNOWING ELCC • TOTAL CAPACITY = EXITING CONVENTIONAL + ADDED/SUBTRACTED CONVENTIONAL + ELCC X WIND-POWER RATED CAPACITY • % RESERVE = ((TOTAL CAPACITY/PEAK LOAD) – 1) X 100

    9. ELCC AND % RESERVE ARE LINKED • IF ELCC IS LARGER THEN % RESERVE FOR 0.1 LOLP IS LARGER • 100% OF ADDITIONAL WIND-POWER COUNTED IS COVERED BY ADDITIONAL RESERVE MW