Unit 16 Scientists at work. The second period Zhang Jun. Benjamin Franklin 1706 ~~~ 1790 statesman, inventor printer, diplomat philosopher writer, scientist. 1. When did Benjamin Franklin do his experiment? 2.What was the purpose of this experiment?
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The second period
1706 ~~~ 1790
1.When did Benjamin Franklin do his experiment?
2.What was the purpose of this experiment?
3.What was needed in this experiment?
In June 1752
To show that lightning and electricity were the same.
5.Why is it better to make the kite of silk better than of paper?
6.What is the use of the silk ribbon?
The electricity stored in the condenser can be used to do other experiments, which proved that lightning and electricity were the same.
It will not tear so soon in weather with rain an strong winds.
It will protect you from the electricity.
Some really bad weather
A condenser to store electricity
A piece of silk
A very sharp piece of metal
A ball of string
A silk ribbon
1. Build the frame of the kite by making a small cross of two pieces of light wood.
2. Tie the corners of the handkerchief to the points of the cross.
3. Add a tail to the frame and tie a long string to the cross.
What to do then
2. A silk kite does not attract lightning, so he had to fix a long sharp piece of______to the top of the longest stick of the cross.
3. He brought a ___________ to store electricity.
4. He used a small______in the fields to keep himself and his tools dry.
5. He tied a silk ______to the string so that the kite could protect him from the ___________.
6. He directed the electricity towards the condenser with a piece of metal at the end of the string by tying a metal _______to the end of the string.
FRANKLIN’S FAMOUS KITE EXPERIMENT of________ .
Aim : of________ .
To show that lighting and electric are the same.
The electricity can be collected and
stored in the condenser;
can be used to do other experiments;
proves that lightning and electricity
are the same.
some wooden sticks, a piece of silk,
some rope, a sharp piece of metal,
silk ribbon, a key, a condenser,
a small shed ,
a thunderstorm with lightning
Paragraphs 5 & 6
When does lightning usually happen? of________ .
In summer, before and when it rains.
When lightning happens, what should we not do?
*Make yourself lower than the things around you
*Don’t stand under an isolated (孤立的） tree
*Don’t get into the water(good conductor)
Don’t be near the window or the wires of lights,telephones and so on.
goodbye of________ .