Eugenics. “Improving h uman g enetic qualities”. AS SBl4U Mr. Watts 24/05/2012. What is Eugenics?. Eugenics is a social philosophy which advocates the improvement of human traits through various forms of intervention
“Improving human genetic qualities”
It is mainly divided into two categories.
- Encouraging reproduction of those genetically ‘fit’
- Aims to prevent those deemed physically, mentally or morally unfit to procreate. Generally by sterilization or segregation
Squares represent males, circles, females; F, feeble-minded; N, normal, E, epileptic; I, insane, C, criminal; T, tuberculosis; d, inf, died in infancy; and small black circle indicates miscarriage.
1) California State University Sacramento. Eugenics in California Retrieved from http://www.csus.edu/cshpe/eugenics/
2) American Bioethics Advisory Commission (1999). Eugenics Retrieved from http://www.all.org/abac/eugen02.htm
3) Black, Edwin (2003). The Horrifying American Roots of Nazi Eugenics. Retrieved from http://hnn.us/articles/1796.html
4) Claude Moore Health Sciences Library (2004). Origins of Eugenics. Retrieved from http://www.hsl.virginia.edu/historical/eugenics/2-origins.cfm
5) What is Eugenics? Past and Present Perspectives. Retrieved from http://www.uvm.edu/~eugenics/whatisf.html
6) Image Archive on the American Eugenics Movement. Retrieved from