Skimming & Scanning. SKIMMING.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Newspaper or magazine article
Book covers in a bookstore (so you can find out if you want to buy the book).
Library books (so you can find out if they have the information you need).
Mystery, detective, or other novels.
Read this paragraph quickly. Answer the following question by putting a checkmark (√ ) beside the answer.
Is this writer for against dogs at home?
For _____ Against _√_____
A whale eats a lot of ocean food everyday. That is because it is a very large animal.
Listing ___Time order____ Cause/effect_ √ _ Comparison___
The signal word is “because”. The pattern is cause and effect.
Read the following paragraphs quickly. Read only to find the pattern of organization. Put a checkmark beside the best answer. Try to finish the exercise in less than 60 seconds.
1. This book has a lot of information about Poland. First it tells about the history. It also explains how to travel around the country. Finally, it lists some interesting places to visit.
Listing ____Time order _____ Cause/effect ____Comparison ___
2. A parakeet is small birds than lives in tropical forests. The parrot is similar to a parakeet, but it is larger. Both birds sometimes can learn how to say words.
Listing _____ Time order _____ Cause/effect _____ Comparison ___
3. Some kinds of birds cannot fly. The penguin is one of these birds. It lives mostly in the very cold Antarctic climate. Another kind of bird that cannot fly is the ostrich. It is lives in Africa.
Listing _____ Time order _____ Cause/effect _____ Comparison _____
Scanning is very fast reading. When you scan, you skip over many words. You look for some information as quickly as you can.
When you travel, you often need to scan a timetable.
Scan the timetable to answer these questions. Work fast!
1. What time(s) does the ferry depart from Seattle?
2. What time(s) does the ferry depart from Victoria?
3. Can you take the ferry on a Wednesday in March or April?
4. During which months are there two ferry trips every day?
5. During which months are there ferry trips only on the weekends?
6. How much is a round-trip ticket for a student?
7. How much would a father and two little children pay for round-trip tickets.
8. What is the latest time that you can take a ferry from Victoria to Seattle in July?
9. How long does the ferry take to travel from Seattle to Victoria?
10. Can you take a ferry from Victoria at 4:20 P.M. in October?
Now you write a question about this timetable.
Scan the news story below to find the answers to these questions. Work fast.
How many stores were damaged in the fire?
In which store did the fire (blaze) start?
What time did the fire start?
Where is the shopping center?
Now you write a question about this news article.
________________________Scanning a newspaper story