PAR INITIATIVE & IMPLEMENTATION JAN 30-31, 2006
PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL Performance is an expression that describes “the level of effectiveness used to perform a job exactly or as closely as desired” Appraisal “ is a method for measuring and assessing performance of people on a specific time against specific parameters” Performance appraisal is a process of assessing and summarizing the work performance and potential for development of an employee within the framework of organisational needs.
EXISTING EXECUTIVE APPRAISAL SYSTEM • Last Revision of Executive PAR in 1995 • Concept of “predetermined job parameters”. Provision for setting of targets/ assignments in the beginning of the year. • Provision for assessment of yearly performance against the assignments / targets. Envisages five grades for the overall assessment. • Separate formats for executives E-1 to E-3 and E-4 to E-6 • At E-1 to E-3 level performance given higher weightage. At E-4 to E-6 levels, managerial traits given higher weightage. • Envisages moderation & counseling system. Moderation and counseling committees to correct serious inter- disciplinary and inter-regional imbalances.
THE GRADING SYSTEM FOR EXECUTIVES E-1 TO E-3E-4 TO E-6 A+ EXCEPTIONAL 95 + 95 + A TOP PERFORMER 80-94 81-94 B VERY GOOD 65-79 70-80 C ADEQUATE 51-64 56-69 D INADEQUATE UPTO 50 UPTO 55
MMODERATION NORMS TO AIM THAT BY AND LARGE, THE FINAL GRADING OF PARS OF EXECUTIVES (E-1 TO E-6) OF VARIOUS DISCIPLINES CONFORM TO THE BROAD PATTERN INDICATED BELOW:- EARLIERREV. FOR E1-E3 1. A+ 5% TO 10% (A+) 20% 2. A 20% (A) 30% 3. B 50% (B) 4. C 20% (C) 50% 5. D 5% (D) NEW GUIDELINES ARE UNDER CONSIDERATION
THE NEED • PAR to be aligned with the change structure and business integration need for the development & career progression of Human Resources • To institutionalize transparency by providing opportunity for an unbiased assessment of yearly performance. • To understand role, responsibility and accountability more objectively • Bridge the gap in complying various aspects and stages of PAR processes
Committee constituted for redesigning and develop new PAR format and Probation Assessment Report. • Shri S. Jandial, CE(Drilling) • Shri R. Bishnoi, CM(IE)-Vig. • Dr. P.R.K. Raju, CM(P&A) • Shri A. Sahu, CM(P&A) • Shri S.C. Tyagi, CM(P&A) • Shri P.K. Sarmah, CM(P&A) • Shri P.S. Rao, Manager (P&A)
REDESIGNED FORMATS • All formats centrally printed to maintain uniformity across locations • Self appraisal including factors enabling and constraining performance. self appraisal.doc • Mobility constraints, if any, and record of transfer deferment/ cancellation. mobility.doc • Performance & Potential Appraisal made integral part of PAR Potential E1-E6 .doc • Developmental feedback ( Training need ) made through PAR Format Dev feedback.doc • Moderation to be done prior to acceptance. • Guidelines formulated by Director (HR) in consultation with other Directors to enable the moderation.
REDESIGNED FORMATS • Reporting / Reviewing / Accepting authorities redefined in line and as per CRC position and Structure reporting.doc • The reviewing and accepting officers will be based on the organisation hierarchy in the reporting chain and not on the seniority in the relevant discipline • PARs of executives in Level-III and above CRC positions are accepted by Director / C&MD only. • At least two distinct tiers of Executives are to report / review / accept, except in case of Directors and C&MD, i.e. no executive below Director and C&MD will be the Reporting, Reviewing and Accepting Authority for an executive.
REDESIGNED FORMATS • Five point scale [1 for poor and 5 for excellent] to be used for potential assessment • Overall score is combination of Performance and Potential appraisal. Weightages vary with level. overall score.doc • Scale of evaluation ( 100 marks) made uniform at all levels and is divided into seven grades (A+, A, A-, B+, B, C, D) • Advice for improvement, Adverse remark and areas for counselling to be recorded by Accepting authority. To ensure compliance after acceptance counselling.doc • Calendar for filling up and movement of PAR defined. Reviewing / Accepting authorities to record date of receipt. calender.doc
REDESIGNED FORMATS • PAR for E1-E6: PAR E1-E6 .doc • PAR for E0: PAR-E0.doc • PAR for Class-III, S and Upgraded: PAR-Cl-III.doc • PAR for Class-IV (W1 – W7): PAR-Cl-IV.doc • Assessment Report for Tenure Based Employees: PAR Tenure.doc • Probation Period Assessment Report: Probation Format.doc
Correction, if any, to be done by cutting and authenticating. Use of correcting fluid and overwriting should be avoided. It should be ensured that Appraisee rendered services of minimum four months under that Reporting officer/Appraiser. Record of PAR form no. against each employee to be kept by the PAR officer.
4. To ensure that each and every cells & columns are filled in properly i.e. • i. ID No. in the space provided in each page & Training Need. • ii. ‘A+’ and ‘D’ grades must be endorsed with supporting remarks. Accepting Authority should record Grades and Marks as well. • iii. To ensure confirmation from controlling Executives that PARs of subordinates have been completed. 5. For the PARs accepted at Work Centres, communication (advice/ adverse) required, if any, should be conveyed and copy enclosed with the filled in PAR (column communication to the executive’).
6. SCRUTINY • TO MAINTAIN SANCTITY AND CONFIDENTIALITY OF PAR • ENSURE THAT THE PARS UPTO E-5 LEVEL ARE SENT TO CORPORATE PAR OFFICE AFTER PROPER SCRUTINY OF COMPLETION AT THE WORK CENTRE. • PARS OF E-6 & ABOVE LEVEL EXECUTIVES AND ALSO LEVEL – III EXECUTIVES REQUIRING FINAL APPROVAL OF DIRECTOR/ C&MD, AS THE CASE MAY BE, BE SENT TO CORPORATE PAR OFFICE AND NOT TO THEM DIRECTLY.
F7. FILLING UP PARs BY RETIRING EMPLOYEES INSTRUCTION WAS ISSUED EARLIER WHICH READS AS “RETIRING REPORTING/ REVIEWING/ ACCEPTING AUTHORITY MAY RECORD HIS VIEWS SEPARATELY OR IN THE OLD FORMAT TILL RECEIPT OF NEW FORMAT WHICH WILL BE ATTACHED SUBSEQUENTLY TO THE NEW FORMATS BY THE NEW INCUMBENT REPORTING/ REVIEWING/ ACCEPTING AUTHORITY FOR COMPLETION OF PAR PROCESS. RETIRED EMPLOYEES ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO FILL UP THE PAR.” NOW, PAR OFFICERS TO LINK / GET LINKED SUCH PARS/ REPORTS WITH NEW PAR.N
8. FILLING UP OF PARs BY TRANSFEREES FOR THE YEAR 2004-05, THE NEW BLANK PAR FORMATS WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE TO THE TRANSFEREES AT THEIR NEW PLACE BY RESPECTIVE PAR OFFICERS. THE SELF APPRAISED PARS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO THE PAR OFFICERS OF THE NEW PLACE OF POSTING GIVING DETAILS OF THE PREVIOUS REPORTING / REVIEWING / ACCEPTING OFFICER ALONG-WITH HIS POSTING LOCATION IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT: “INFORMATION TO BE FURNISHED BY TRANSFEREES PAR officer to send filled in PARs to respective authorities through PAR officer at their places of posting.
9. ERRING EMPLOYEE’S PAR IN CASES WHERE AN APPRAISEE DELIBERATELY DOES NOT FILL IN THE PERSONAL DATA OR RECORD JOB PARAMETERS/ ACHIEVEMENTS WITHIN THE PRESCRIBED TIME LIMIT, THIS DELIBERATE DELINQUENCY, MAY BE RECORDED BY THE REPORTING OFFICER. THE APPRAISER WOULD INITIATE ACTION ON OTHER ASPECTS OF PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL AS PER RULES. THE REPORTING OFFICER WILL MAKE ASSESSMENT WITHOUT SELF APPRAISAL AND MENTION THAT THE ASSEESSEE HAS NOT GIVEN THE SELF ASSESSMENT WITHIN DUE DATE.
10. EMPLOYEE ON LONG LEAVE: IN CASE OF APPRAISEE ON MEDICAL LEAVE (MORE THAN 4 MONTHS) THE REPORTING OFFICER WOULD RECORD THE NATURE OF MEDICAL PROBLEM /REASON FOR LONG MEDICAL LEAVE. REPORT TO BE ATTACHED TO PAR, IF AVAILABLE. 11. EMPLOYEES ON SUSPENSION FOR ALLEGED MISCONDUCT: THE REPORTING OFFICER WILL INITIATE ACTION WITHOUT WAITING FOR THE APPRAISE & RECORD HIS OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE APPRAISEE WHICH MAY NOT DEAL WITH THE PERFORMANCE BUT MAKE REFERENCE OF HIS CONDUCT, IF SO DESIRED, OTHERWISE DURING THE PERIOD OF SUSPENSION
12. PENDENCY OF PARS PAR pendency has been a major cause of concern leading to inordinate delay in release of promotions to deserving employees. Owing to the significance of adherence to the time schedule prescribed for filling up of PAR, the issue of all such pendency be taken up / discussed and responsibility fixed, if required, in the Virtual Board Meetings
13. MAINTENANCE OF PARS : CLASS-III & IV THE MAINTENANCE OF PAR DOSSIERS OF CLASS III & IV EMPLOYEES WILL BE DONE CENTRALLY AT THE RESPECTIVE REGIONAL/ SECTORAL OFFICE. ER, NAZIRA : NAZIRA, SIBSAGAR, JORHAT, SILCHAR CR, KOLKATA : TRIPURA, KOLKATA INCLUDING FIELD SERVICES OFFICE SR, CHENNAI : RAJAHMUNDRY, CHENNAI, KARAIKAL, HYDERABAD MR, MUMBAI : GOA, MUMBAI, URAN, HAZIRA, IOGPT, IEOT WR,VADODORA : ANKLESHWAR, VADODORA, AHMEDABAD, CAMBAY, MEHSANA, JODHPUR HQRS, DDN : DEHRADUN, DELHI, FB HEADS / INCHARGES - HR/ER OF REGIONAL OFFICES / ASSETS /BASINS TO STRENGTHEN RESPECTIVE REGIONAL PAR SECTIONS TO KEEP AND MAINTAIN PAR DOSSIERS OF CLASS III & IV EMPLOYEES OF THAT SECTOR/REGION
14. COMMUNICATION OF PAR GRADE: ANY REQUEST FOR PROVIDING PAR GRADES/ DOSSIERS OF EXECUTIVES SHOULD BE ROUTED THROUGH DIRECTOR(HR). FOR NON EXECUTIVES, THE DESIGNATED PAR OFFICERS MAY PROVIDE THE PAR GRADINGS/DOSSIERS WITH THE APPROVAL OF RESPECTIVE KEY EXECUTIVES. ONLY FITNESS MAY BE PROVIDED DIRECTLY BY PAR OFFICER
115. REPORTING, REVIEWING AND ACCEPTING OFFICERS; A. Evaluation to be carried out at three levels i.e. Reporting, Reviewing and Accepting. The reviewing and accepting officers will be based on the organisation hierarchy in the reporting chain and not on the seniority in the relevant discipline. However the following has to be taken care of:
BB. For the positions clearly defined such as DICs, Area Incharges in services, Area Managers, Location Managers, etc. the three-tier arrangement based on the positions will be as follows: (indicative list)
C. PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL OF VIGILANCE In case any E-1 to E-3 level Executive is Sectional Head of Vigilance in any Work Centre, G.M.(Vigilance)-Hqrs. will initiate and review his performance and such PARs will be submitted to CVO for acceptance.
D. PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL OF INTERNAL AUDIT In case any E-1 to E-3 level Executive is Sectional Head of Internal Audit in any Work Centre, Head-IA will initiate and review his performance and such PARs will be submitted to Chief-IA for acceptance.
E. PAR APPRAISAL OF SECURITY nNEW APPRAISAL IS BEING REVIEWED.
PAR IS AN IMPORTANT TOOL • in shaping the career of the employees • also as an index of their involvement, commitment and contribution to the organisation This is an In-House effort. Any suggestion may please be sent to Corporate PAR
APPRAISEE APPRAISER REPORTING REVIEWING OFFICER ACCEPTING OFFICER Head Sports Head/Chief HRD Head/Chief HRD Director (HR) E-5, Sports Section, Delhi Head Sports Head/Chief HRD Chief/Head HRD Below E-5, Sports Section, Delhi Head Sports Head-Sports Chief/Head HRD Games Co-ordinator Head Sports Head-Sports Chief/Head HRD Active Sportsmen Games Co-ordinator Head-Sports Head-Sports In case the level of Appraisee is higher than the Appraiser and Reviewing Officer respectively as outlined above, the normal PAR Rule to be followed. PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL OFSPORTS DEPARTMENT